• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Effectiveness of LX 5 over weed beds

perca

I just ordered an LX 5 and am not sure about its effectiveness targeting sunfish in a bay 9' deep with weeds. Will the fish still show if it is below the level of the weed image? Do you have to keep the lure above the weeds to effectively use the LX5 and entice the fish out? Does anyone have any definitive suggestions for using the LX 5 when the fish's sonar image is obscured by the weed sonar image?

Perca- The LX 5 is awesome for this... USe the Narrow Beam of the two.. The narrower you have the cone angle the less weeds it actually reads and the more easily you can see your jig. Yes you may run into some problems if you are in thick weeds, but it will work better than any other sonar out there.

Have fun with your new investment.

I'm with Deitz, the narrow beam feature makes a world of difference when targeting fish in the weeds and pinpointing where your jig is. Makes things a whole lot easier. It really takes away the readout of surrouding weeds and it focuses on only what's directly below you (your jig and the fish smile.gif).

I used my LX5 in weeds on Sunday. I was simply AMAZED at how well it worked. My old FL8 worked nothing like this. I used the narrow beam but did not have to. I could adjust the gain so I could still see my jig dropping through the weeds (though still the same color as weed but you could still tell the differece based on the movement) and the fish showed up Red within the weeds. I'm still amazed by what I saw. I think you'll be very happy. The more I use my LX5 the more I like it. grin.gif