• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tricky question on my 1980 ski-doo

frabillfisher

Well i got a 1980 ski-doo 500 everst electro that i got for free from a friend that hadant ran it in a few years and took the carb off and cleaned it...put some new gas in and it started rite up, problem was only the left cylinder was working...after checking the plug it was good so when it was running i helf the plug cap up and off the plug but still touching and the right cylinder would fire...put it all the way on and nothing...so i tested the coil and it was bad ordered a new one and put it on started up and ran for awhile then died and couldnt get it going again seems like its flooded and looks like nice spark on both plugs..it also back fired a few times when it did run this last time...so here i sit....? confused.gif any ideas?? anyone?

I'm not to familiar with the early 80's skidoo's. To new for me. I've got a 72 skidoo and a 73 polaris in my garage now. Both are torn apart with similar problems. No spark. But, I'm not sure if your sled has a CDI ignition or a points ignition. The fact that your getting fuel and you've checked spark, whick you say is good, and you've mentioned it was backfiring makes me think it might be a timing issue. You might want to double check that....

JEV

I cant seem to figure out if it has a cdi or points...they dont list a new cdi box for it so i would asume it has points...maybe thats wat i need is the new points and condenser anyone got and idea also if it says 79 on the snowmobile its really considered a 80 rite?