• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More great whitefish fishing

New Years was fun on whitefish - got 5 Lake Whitefish up to over 4 pounds. Most came out of the weeds in 10 feet of water at the top of a break, using crappie minnows, but one slammed a buckshot spoon 15 feet under the ice in 30+ feet of water.

cg_lwf012005.JPG

ag_lwf012005.JPG

whitehead.JPG

They can usually be found quite shallow, a flat of 8-12 feet is a good range to look at. They seem to like some vegetation around, too. Find an area like this with close proximity to a break into the lake's main basin and there should be some whitefish around. We've gotten them on plain crappie minnows suspended anywhere from the lake bottom to the bottom of the hole, and also on jigging spoons. They like crappie minnows best. They are delicious, much better-tasting than tulibees. Pan-fried whitefish is good, as well as smoked or baked whole with a creamy dill sauce(delicious). Good luck! ~hogsucker

Nice Whitefish! Have you ever tried for whities in the Bdub? I tried Fall, Burntside, Elbow, Whiteiron with no luck. Those lakes tend to have alot of tannin in them I wonder if the whitefish have trouble seeing the bait in those lakes ?

Any ideas, Tks, Fry Daddy

Roughfisher, I have tried both winter and summer for them, the water clarity is about 6'. I have been thinking of using more audio lures like the buckshot jigs etc. Some reports from Canada get Whitefish during july on dry flies the resemble the mayfly hatch . Have you ever tried Whitefish lake where the pine river enters the lake during the winter? I live about 100 miles away thought I might give it a try. Any locactions on the lake that might land me s whitefish? Best regards, Fry Daddy

That area of Whitefish Lake contains a lot of big whitefish. I would suggest gaining lake access from any one of the resorts in the area, I could reccommend one in particular if you leave your email address. Once you get on the lake, find the 8-12 foot area with some weeds and drill lots of holes. Use crappie minnows for best results. They won't usually come fast and furious, but getting a few in an afternoon's fishing is worth it. Usually perch, walleyes and small pike will be in the areas they frequent. Hope this helps and good luck ~hogsucker