• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Res. / lake maps

I am a newbie here out west, I am living in Boulder, just wondering what type of Reservoir/ lake maps are out there. I figured I'd hit the bass Pro Shops near denver, but recomendations on specific paper maps or mapping software/chips are recomended for my GPS. Are the Lowrance or Navionics chips worthwhile out west, I loved them back in the MIdwest.

I would really dig a book sort of thing containing many different res./lake maps for specific regions of the state, more bang for the buck, that would allow me to do research of many fisheries, and select specie specific bodies of water I'd like to target.

Another question, does the CO dnr/fisheries mgmt. do much in terms of surveys or specie specific surveys, test nets, electro shock info. If so, where can I access this, I've tried the DNR HSOforum, not finding it there.

I am just trying to gain as much insight into the fisheries I'd like to know of current data that will allow me to determine what bodies of water are worthwhile. I am a multi-specie angler, whos willing to travel for QUALITY fishing.

This nice mild winter weather is really getting me excited to get the boat back in the water.

Thanks for any help, by the way has anyone fished the Boulder res.? Is the walleye population worthwhile? It is way too close to home to not give her a shot.

fishingchef, There is a map book offered at most bait shops and out door sporting stores. It has a lot of Colorado lakes as well as a few Wyoming & Nebraska lakes. Boulder has a descent population of Walleyes and a few are big. As far as GPS mapping soft ware, I have yet to find a good one for Colorado. Just mark your good spots and save them to a disc. Hope you have some good luck fishing out here. Lots of ice fishing going on right now for Lakers and Trout. if we get good ice again in the front range, there is good perch and some walleye through the lid.

DAN Dan

Thanks Dan, thats what I was hoping to here! I may try to get out on the water here pretty darn soon.

Sounds like there is some decent ice fishing going on out there, and with this weather it must be awesome, sure beats those blustery days back in MN, a hole hoppers dream out here. Unfortunately, I left my auger and fish trap back in MN, brought all of my other ice fishing gear, I have had a heck of a lot of great ice experiences back home, and decided it would be more fun to concentrate on soft water year round. Must admit, was a little jealous every time I here reports from back home, oh well, that first western walleye will change all that.

Thanks again for the info, I'll post once I actually get out fishing.