• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1st ice in S.E. MI

I can never remember having ice this early. The smaller lakes are frozen and the guys are fishing the canals and bays of Lake St. Clair. I even saw guys under the Jefferson bridge of the Spillway today. I didn't make it out this weekend, but will try to get out one evening this week. I'll try to keep you guys updated on Ice Conditions on Lake St. Clair and any hot bites. Starting in mid January, I'll be fishing tournaments in MI, NY, WI, and Ontario. It's going to be a very busy winter.

You folks be safe out there on this 1st ice! There's a lot of snow on the ice, which will insulate and slow down the freezing process. Leave that auger at home and probe often with that speedy spud. Safety 1st!

I wish I was finding those perch. I must admit that this ice caught me off-gaurd this year. I'm still getting equipment ready for the TA's right now. Plus, our ice conditions are a little shakey. We got a good early freeze followed by two snow storms. I was on a small 30 acre lake this weekend with my son and really shouldn't have had him out there...There was only about 3" of ice at most and a lot of slush on top. We had single digits last night and are supposed to be cold again tonight. That should take care of the slush and make for good conditions next weekend or one night this week. The big lake may fair a little better, as the areas that weren't frozen before the snow will probably actually be thicker than the areas that froze sooner and held snow...

Reports are that those that are going out are getting some nice gills and crappies in Schneiders bay/ "The Raft Bar" and that some of the marinas are producing spotty big perch action. I probably won't fish much locally until after late Feb. when my Trap Attacks finish up. I'll probably pre-fish the MI lake (Wamplers) as much as I can before the TA and try out some of our new equipment. My new partner, Bob Horn, and I have never fished together before. So we really need to spend as much time together on the ice as we can.

I made it out on Sat. here in northern MN on Winnie in search for some perch but was bugged by a lot of small walleye. Some were just big enough to fit between a Hogie bun and man did they taste good!! We have about 10" of ice on the lake right now so I plan to spend some more time out there soon. Thanks for the report.

Good Luck with your TA season this year !!

Well we've lost much of our ice in S.E. MI. The smaller lakes have either opened up completely or at least opened up around the shoreleines. We're till fishing in the marinas around Lake St. Clair, but getting on and off the ice is getting tougher as the ice around the docks and at the mouths of the canals continue to erode.

I pre-fished Wampler's lake near Brooklyn MI on Wed. and actually got caught in a thunder storm. We had pouring rain, hail, and frequent ground striking lightning. Needless to say we bolted from the lake and called it a day. The weatherman says it's going to get cold by the end of the week and we really need it quick. My partner Bob is coming into town at the end of the week to prefish with me and we really need it to make ice so we can safely try out our new Polaris Track Drive quad.

Anyone else have ice conditions to report from around the state???