• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Super Glow colors success or failure

Here’s the question: Do super glow colors, meaning glow in color paints, actually help you catch more fish?

Does anyone have a story about success using these relatively new products? What about horror stories of the glow actually turning fish off??

Good topic John, this should be an interesting one and I'm looking forward to hearing the stories as well...

For me, I truly feel that some glow colors help me catch more fish in certain situations. For one, glow red and glow pink have proven themselves to be on the top of my list for color options for winter-time crappies. Whether I'm working a jigging spoon or jig, those two glow options seem to take the cake for me.

Glow blue also has its time and place as well, and I've found it to be very productive on walleye, as well as catfish through the ice.

The new addition of glow purple is really going to turn some heads as well (both anglers and fish smile.gif). Some outstanding options coming out for this winter.

I don't know if I have any real "horror" stories, maybe some stories where glow wasn't necessary to catch fish, or where too much glow was a bad thing. But I haven't really found a time where a neutral glow turned fish away. However, I'm not saying this hasn't happened to me and I just wasn't paying attention, but nothing comes to mind where glow was the culprit for a bad day on the ice...

I've had mixed results with super glows. They are not a sure thing, but should be part of everyone's arsenal.

Up until just recently there have only been a handful of true glow colors readily available (green/white, red, blue, and pink). I have used all of them, with my best success coming on red, blue and green/white when used over top of a normal color pattern. I have experienced times when the fish would just not hit a glow jig and had times when they were glow color selective. But generally, if they turn-on on a certain glow color, they will hammer it like nothing else you can throw at them.

The only real complaint or problem I have with them in general is that they are usually made from a base material that is reactive with soft plastics and must be kept separated when not in use. They are also often times a single color with no features such as dots, stripes, etc.

I’m experimenting with a full array of new glow colors, including purple, aqua blue, and canary yellow. I am going to try to create color combinations with them, just like a “normal” powder paint job (two tones, perch patterns, stripes, eyes, etc). I used to make hundreds of jigs every year before I was sponsored by Little Atom. Their products are great as are Fiska’s, but I still like to play around and make some of my own stuff.

We use a very unique jig style here in MI that is primarily for perch. I didn’t really realize how unique it was until I started traveling around the country competing. These jigs are generically referred to as “bead jigs” or “jack spoons”. They are topic by themselves…But I make my own versions of these popular spoons and even use glow-in-color beads on them. Now perch are not generally night feeders on Lake St. Clair, but do seem to like glow beads at 1st light and just before sunset.

Glow in color or Super Glows do have their place. Now how about black jigs at night? They work great sometimes too. Go figure!

Good insight John, it's always interesting to hear others opinions on glow tackle.

However, I've seen some options that provide dots and stripes that stay true to their super glow qualities without the plastic reaction...

Here's a Go Devil from Scenic Tackle that incorporates several different colors and has some outstanding stripes and design...

Perch_Go_Devil.jpg

It's also composed of a super glow paint.

The entire Scenic Tackle line uses paint that does not react with plastics, and are essentially "plastic-proof" if you want to call it that.

But on the other hand, I have seen my fair share of glow paints and regular paints that do react with plastics, and it can really be a sticky situation grin.gif

I also like your mention of black jigs at night, very interesting! While I can't say I've used black too many times at night, I will have to play around with it more...

Those bead jigs and jack spoons sound interesting too. Nothing really ceases to amaze me nowadays when it comes to tackle smile.gif

So that perch/fire tiger pattern from scenic tackle actually is made of all super glow colors? I have never been able to find powders or paint that have the same vibrant normal light colors as they have when glowing. All of the real super glows that I've seen are pretty dull or washed out looking in daylight and really don't have any color until they're charged and in the dark. Scenic must have a secret process or material...Think they'll share???LOL

We custom mix our own glow colors to obtain the exact color we desire. Then we top all of our products with a custom blend of clear coat as well. I also want the product to look good in day time as well as charge up well. This has taken a LONG time to get just right but I think we are getting closer. Will I share this process??? NOT!!!! LOL

Hey guys,

Nice thread as I'd expect. First time I have been compelled to put in my .02. Longtime reader.

My Ice Team partner Mike McNett and I used glow in the dark Nuggies plastic tails for our win during the 2005 NAIFC held a few weeks ago on Lake Mary in Alexandria MN. So I'd say we have $10,000+ reasons for believing in glow and a couple of sweet rings too. Not to mention the action of the Nuggies are like no other plastic's they have seen. Fish really can't resist, from LMB, smallies, pike, crappies, gills and perch, the Nuggies has caught them all for me. We bring them along in the boat with our favorite fish finder and ice rods and have a blast all year. We almost never tip our plastics with any live bait. They don't work every day, but plastic's have their days. Best to have along an arsenal of colors and styles. When the fish are hitting short and not committing suicide is when we start to switch colors until one of them makes them snap on it.

I have learned a lot from this site and hope I can contribute back some useful info and represent the industry well. I am always open minded and willing to learn.

Thanks for a great forum.

Nice thread Lil John!

Welcome to FM Tony! I'm always excited when I see another die hard pannie angler joining in on the fun grin.gif

Again, more great insight! I had the chance to work over some gills this past weekend with the Nuggies, they provide some excellent action and triggering power! Depending on how you rig them, they can either depict a minnow, scud, mayfly, "large" plankton, etc... A very versatile plastic in my opinion.

Jeff, good to see you're still on line, I was moving my perm house the other day, looking for panfish. Drilled my first hole scouting and there were several fish down by the bottom, 26 feet of water. I grabbed my rod with a perch color go devil, red hooks, no bait. I caught several crappies and sunnies as fast as I could get it back down. This particular day the glow color was awesome! The no bait thing, must have been the red hooks!

Hey Fisherking...good to hear someone getting on the fish. It has been a busy season for me so I have not had a chance to spend much time on line or wetting a line for that matter. That perch is still the one you will see me using. Hopefully run into you some time this winter.

Jeff, I hope to fish with you again sometime. Maybe perpherate the ice like rainy Lake. I've been fishing nearly every day since dec 28, If you are persistant enough, you're bound to have good days and lots of stories.Honestly, it is starting to feel like I skipped school and no one else did. Oh well, guess I'll think it over on the lake tomorrow!

Not much talk of get togethers this year, hoping something comes up. Don't think the Rainy, LOW, URL bite is happening, I wish I would have made the Winnie trip, but, I was skiing! Got a buddy on winnie, says it has been good, might head up next week for a couple of days.