• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

She won't "drop" without a treat.

Johnny_Namakan

I have a 9 month old yellow lab. She's a great dog, high-strung, but all-in-all a great dog. She seems almost too smart though. To the point where she thinks she knows better than me. She's been on a few weekend hunts with me and has done well flushing and finding the birds (grouse). The first bird I shot this year over her, she mouthed but didn't like the feathers too much. The second and third birds, she found, retrieved, but wouldn't drop. She wanted to do the head whip thing with it. When using the dummy at home, it's the same thing. She will hold as long as i want her too, and she'll retrieve it right to me, but when i put my hand down for her to place the dummy in she teases me with it. She didn't used to do this until her and my brother's 5 year old lab started playing "keep away" with each other with sticks. Now she thinks teasing me with the dummy is a game. Although I don't know why she would, she gets in a lot of trouble when she does, but she doesn't care, it's just too much fun for her. Now,if I bring treats with me out into the yard and play fetch she looks like a champ. She'll bring that dummy right into my hand then look for her reward. I only reward her every third or fourth throw, but she doesn't care, she'll bring it to me everytime if she thinks she's getting a treat. So, here's my question. How do i get her to bring it to me without having to reward her with a treat evertime? She always gets rewarded verbally, but I don't think I should have to give her a food reward everytime. By the way, my brother and I no longer allow our dogs to play keep away with sticks. Do I just need to keep working with her with the treats and hope she gets "programmed" into always dropping, or is there something else I need to do? Thanks in advance guys!

Has she been taught to "drop" as a command when she delivers? Make sure that she understands it is a command just as sit and stay. Use "drop" or "give". Do not teach this by throwing bumpers. Do it at your side or on the training table. "Fetch", "hold" and "drop" are not and should not be taught and re-inforced while actually retrieving, but rather in a controlled environment while the dog is under control and generally sitting. This is the 1st step in the force fetch. Make sure she understands that to deliver is expected and a command just as everything else she will do while hunting.

Good Luck!

Ken