• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Researching an English Springer breeder

cjthomps

I'm looking at an English Springer Spaniel from Whispering Winds Kennel in Bemidji. I don't know much about the breeders and would like to know for sure before getting too serious. Are they reputable? Does anyone have a dog from there, or know of somebody that does?

If anybody knows anything about them, I'd really like to have a little info. Thanks.

What do you plan on doing with the dog? Will you hunt it or will it be mainly a pet or companion? There are really two different kinds of English Springer Spaniels. One is a bench or show dog and the other is a field bred english springer spaniel. If you are going to hunt you want the field bred dog. Many breeders of bench dogs will say their dogs are fine hunters and they may be but make sure you are getting field breeding if you want to hunt. The bench dog will look more blocky and have longer ears and the field dog will be more athletic looking. Do some research online and you will see some pictures. Also, the field bred dog makes a fine companion or pet but I wouldn't say that the show dog will end up being a good hunter.

I have never heard of the kennel you are referring to. I have been involved in English Springer Spaniel field trails in the past and have never heard of this kennel. That doesn't mean he doesn't have good dogs but I have never heard of the kennel in field trail or hunting circles.

Bottom line is make sure you do your reasearch and get the dog that best fits your needs. If you are interested I can point you in the direction of some field bred springer breeders that you will be happy with.

Thanks for the info. I should have specified in my previous post, I'm definitely looking at a field dog. I've done a large amount of research and have hunted behind springers in the past.

The information that I have form this breeder is that the mother has strong hunting lines and has been used in the field, and so has the sire. The breeder mentioned that the sire, which they own, is soon to be trained for search and rescue. He said the value of the dog is too great for him and his family, and thus won't take him out hunting anymore for fear of any risk involved. I asked if that meant he didn't show any promise in the field, and he stated that that was not the case. That's about all I have to go on for now, until I take a look at the dogs.

I'd be happy to hear about some other field springer breeders in the area, especially if they have or are expecting to have pups available soon.

I have heard of the kennel but, know nothing about the dogs they produce. Like Mille Lacs Guy said, do your research. Look for things like PFK testing and OFA or PENN hip testing. Ask for references of past puppies. Ask to see a copy of the pedigree. Look for things on the pedigree like FC, AFC, NFC, NAFC, JH, SH and MH. They do not all have to have titles but, the people that have the dogs with these titles tend to look a little harder at the abilities of the other dog before breeding. Meaning you probably will not find an NFC bred to a couch potato.

Mille Lacs guy's points are all good ones. I haven't run spaniel field trials but have run retriever trials in the past. Retrievers have been very good to me but I decided to try something different and my wife wanted a smaller dog for in the house. Also, doing very little waterfowl anymore. I almost bought a springer but finally decided on a english cocker, which is sort of like a miniature springer. I have run a number of hunt tests which had both springers and cockers, and can tell you first hand that while most of the springers at the events are field dogs, I have seen some of these show springers and most I have seen would be terrible hunters. Not to put anyone down with one of these show spaniels but the ones I have seen practically quarter at a crawling pace and appear lost out there. I would not buy one without strong field lines and and the owners should be willing to show the dog work in the field. You also might want to consider the english cocker...I love mine. Hard worker, great nose, quarters fantastic with most shooting within 20 yards, and retrieves well too.

Very good dogs from there. I have hunted behind three dogs from there. All of them run field trials all summer and hunt all fall. My cousin drives from Willmar up to Brainerd almost every weekend to train up there. If I hadn't just bought a lab, I would be buying a springer from them. I don't know anything about the place, but I know they taught my cousin a lot and all three dogs are great.

Bigfife-

If you are referring to a kennel in Brainerd I am sure you are referring to Pine Shadows which is field bred springer breeder and field trailer from Brainerd. I can confirm that the other kennel in Bemidji is not associated with any field trail I have ever been at. Also, I did a simple internet search of the kennel name and you get to a HSOforum and they don't mention field trails and the HSOforum is mainly advertising another breed of dogs.