• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Still time to fish Lake Michigan

Lake Michigan fishing is still good. If you still have your boat available you can fish for perch or troll for salmon. If you need to fish from shore you can still get salmon and trout on lures and spawn while fishing off shore. I will try to get out this weekend if the wind does not blow. Of course it is calm today but I have to work. I hope that lasts through this weekend because I want to try and get a few for the freezer! BE careful though 'cause the water temp is COLD and the wind likes to blow. Check the weather reports well before going out.

Post if you have a report. I will let you know what I do this weekend.

Capt Ken

Matt

The perch are huge - thsi year they were a little smaller at times, but you can routinely catch 12-14 inchers and an occasional 15 incher. They are really amazing! If you ever get to norther IL and want me to show you how it's done, I'd be happy to. July is always closed season.

I tried to get out this weekend, but it was too windy. That is often a problem in October especially. My boat gets pulled out of the Waukegan Harbor on the 31st. Hopefully low wind will coincide with a day off or I just may have to get some kind of illness that only a day on the water will cure. LOL

The ice varies. Some years it is good and others it is shaky. The Fox chain get alot of ice fishing attn, but you really have to watch it because of currents. It IS a river system and there IS current between lakes, around points and near bridges. It is such a subtle current and people do WHATEVER and I mean WHATEVER they want during the summer (sometimes it makes for good viewing) that they forget to be careful in the winter and that means a dunk in the water. Guys often go out before I would venture out - but I don't know that its any different in that regard here than anywhere else. I remember we all were tip toing around on the ice one Thanksgiving on Vermilion and a few brave souls decided it was good enough to haul the permanents out with 4 wheelers. Next thing we know, here comes a few guys out in a sedan heading all the way out to Borch island. I could not watch (o.k. I peeked once and they made it).

K

I just might have to take you up on that Ken. 15-inch perch sound like a good time smile.gif

If not this winter, we can definitely work something out for the winter of 06-07...

Maybe you, Bob Horn and I can all meet up and chase a few jumbos...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt, Lake Michigan changes alot from year to year. Jumbo this year dinks maybe next year. We never know. I wish the big pond would be more consistant but that`s fishing on the big pond. Captain Ken shoot me an email and lets get some of those jumbos. grin.gif