• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

something a bit different...

CrappieJohn

Today I fished a little different for a while. Eventhough I was after sunnies and crappies I tried a #3 mini-shy-bite float on the line about 7 feet above the jig and just crept along. Using this float over a 1/32 ounce jig was just right. The float would actually lie right down on the water asthe line trailed along behind the boat and when a fish hit, it would pop up-right for an instant and then disappear. This eliminated any question as to whether there was a hit or not.

Normaly I fish only the mini-stealth floats, but they twist the heck out of things if trolled in this fashion. These mini-shy-bites don't roll in the water at all at slow speeds.

I fished this way until the sunfish moved into shallower water and then teased them up with a Scenic Tackle go devil in the glow red. The glow was a necassary thing as was the addition of a waxie or two.

Fishing here in the SE has been weird lately and the near-absence of crappies is a bummer. I have begun to wonder if the up-surge of stripers on myfavorite puddle has affected the crappie numbers. I did catch quite a few stripers with a couple approaching 13 inches....fighters, but I'd like them elsewhere. I saw some crappies today, but no takers. Sunnies ran very large today with a few in the 10 inch class and a perch was also taken that measured up at 11 inches and fat.

Water temps are dropping nicely so changes in tactics will be common from here on out. Remember to be willing to try something different! As this season changes, so shall your approaches.