• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gimme a break

Lots of chatter has been happening lately about the fish being deep and relating to things we call breaks. These are definitely one of the premier pieces of structure to be looking at at this time of year , given all the cold weather and cold fronts, but just what breaks?

Breaks can best be described as where one type of bottom ends and another begins. In some waters, like the lake I typically fish, steep shorelines and the lack of flat land surrounding the water create instances where the change from shallow to deep water is but a few feet from shore. The first primary drop in water depth might go from 4 feet to eight in less than a yard of horizontal travel. These are very radical breaks, but are absolute magnets for crappies. Underwater rock ledges are breaks as are reefs and humps. The edges of these structures are fish holders too. But that is just one lake.

Any change of water depth that happens quickly can be the break you need to look for. A two foot drop can spell success in many waters. Breaks may even come off as being quite subtle too, so you have to be observant to see the changes in some waters. A visible point of land jutting into the water will likely present several break opportunities along it and are one of the best kinds of breaks to locate, especially if the water has depth and the shorelinge is steep.

Someone will surely say here that they fish a bowl shaped lake and there is no definite dropoff. How about weeds? The outside edge of weeds, especially those that reach the surface, creates a break in its own right. The more noticeable or abrupt the weeds end, the better. It is still a matter of going from one type of venue to another.

Why are breaks so hot? They offer the access to deep water. They offer an ideal ambush location for feeding. And since both deep and shallow water are both close at hand (in most instances)the crappies find security and accessability without travel. All of these issues are indeed a part of the crappie puzzle. I look for breaks and shoreline changes while still over fairly deep water. What I pay particular attention to is the lcr and the marks. Find fish relating to water depths almost identical to the shallower water at the top of a break and you had better fish them. Crappies will show this way and these will be actively feeding fish. The deeper the fish appear off the edge, the less agreeable they will be. The deeper fish are still catchable, but you will be working to get them.

Breaks are one of the best early season pieces of structure to fish for many reasons. Cold fronts, cold or slow to warm water temps, rising water will all put fish into a panic and they will head straight for the deepeset water withing the immediate area. BUT, they still have to eat. And it will be the breaks that hold those fish. Knowing what to look for and how to know what you are looking at becomes a challenge for some. Hopefully this will help to understand some of the terminology and just where to find these important pieces of structure.

At this time of year and we have the fish in pre-spawn mode, little changes in the weather or water can create big changes as far as how we need to go about staying with the fish. When all of these things come at once, I just say "gimme abreak"!

Hey Tom,

How close are the Crappie to spawn on Lake Vermillion? Any idea what the water temp's are? Is it better to use live bait (ie. crappie minnows), artifical or a combination? I'll up next week.

Thanks,

Mike

Tom has just described one of my favorite patterns for Crappies.

It is my favorite, and for good reason. Some of the best action, not to mention biggest fish, are taken year after year by doing what Tom has described above.

And these types of patterns are common through-out the summer and into fall.

Great work here Tom! I'm eating every word of it!

Tom, old boy,

Todays fishing reitterated everything you mention above.

I fished a "radical" windblown breakline today. This piece of structure was 17 feet at the bottom and 4 feet deep at the top, and the depth span changed in a matter of 12 horizontal feet!

The bigger Crappies were stacked against the edge of this wall, and the small ones were up top on the flat.

These types of areas can really shrink down the playing field and make finding the fish that much easier!

Great topic!