• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Panfish and Hi- Vis line?

mnrstrider

Just wondering, I put some hi-vis on for some early river fishing, and I still have it spooled on a couple spools, I was thinking hi vis would be really bad for crappies and sunfish, anyone fish hi-vis? Anyone have and input on hi-vis versus anyother color. I have been using clear, because I thought it would turn them off.

You will find many schools of thought and as many opinions on that subject here. Personally I use two lines: Trilene XL, 4 pound, when fishing under a float and Berkley Vanish, 4 pound, when fishing with simply a jig and no float. The vanish sinks when wet and you will get a better drop rate with light jigs. Both lines are clear. I have extra spools in the tackle satchel carrying each line in two pound as well. I never use a braid on panfish.

Can the panfish see the line? They react to color. But you will have to decide for yourself. I guess if it were me and I was having trouble fishing the line and seeing it react to strikes I might think about going to a colored line, BUT there would be a leader of clear line of at least six feet just before the tackle.

I like nothing in the way of knots in my lines. I just stick with clear and rely on my rod to let me know when I have a hit. Today's tackle is so well refined that even inexpensive rods will signal this information very well.

Like I said, the hi-vis lines have their place in some schools, just not mine. And most of the persons I know who use the colored lines will add a clear leader when using a hi-vis.

Another consideration when thinking about the hi-vis stuff is the amount of memeory these lines tend to possess. Even in lines sold as being "limp" they have an unusual amount of stiffness and are full of memory in my opinion. And there is nothing more frustrating than to make six casts and end up with twenty-seven coils of extra line hanging somewhere between the reel and the rod tip stretched three guides.

i use 2# and 4# solar XT exclusively with out a leader of clear line . i can't see clear line and rely on seeing it when fishing a drop and fall routine. does it cost me some fish, probably/possibly. but i'll stay with it.