• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Never Know What your gunna catch

I was fishing for carp and caught a 7lb Asian Koi. One of those orange and white carp looking fish. It was sweet, I saw him swimming around so I threw a bunch of corn on the bottom and watched as he swam around and sucked it up. So I threw my hook w/ corn out there by the rest of the corn, and sure enough he sucked that up too. Catch something new everday. wink.gif

I have seen one of those the last several years swimming around in a lake in the east metro but never really tried to catch it. I was amazed that a northern didn't get it when it was younger cuz of it's bright color and all. Either way good work and they are pretty fish.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

Yeah, those monster koi's can sell for a pretty penny. My dad is a fish collector and I've seen some white koi's selling for a couple hundred dollars! And they weren't half as big as 7 pounds! That's quite the catch, congrats!

Check out these pics of a few different koi...

kohaku.gif

Kohaku - white body with a red pattern

showa.gif

Showa Sanke - tri-colored koi with a white body and black and red patterns

asagi.gif

Asagi/Shusui - metallic koi with a red belly

More koi pics...

sanke_grp.gif

beko_utsr.gif

tanch_grp.gif

Pretty cool fish!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Thats neat man. I was fishing alone and didnt have a camera unfortunately. Maybe I will try to catch it again. It was the white and gold phase. Like the first one on your set of pictures. Yea it was really exciting. What kind of pet store would buy one does anyone know? Cause it would probably need to be one nearby, otherwise it would prolly die.

Those types of fish can withstand a little abuse and can even sustain through low oxygen levels. I think it would survive if you had a tube of some sort to transfer it in until you got it to where it needed to go.

As far as where to bring it, you would probably have to contact a fish dealer. I'm not sure if a local pet shop would buy it. Most of those type of fish are ordered or are "exotic" and are picked up by collectors or enthusiasts. Not really something you'll find at a pet shop (at least not one that size).

Take a look in the yellow pages and see if there is an exotic fish collector/dealer in your area. Contact that person and see what you could get for it, or if they would even be interested. I'll give my dad a ring and see if he knows more about how to go about this...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I've seen big ones at some larger specialty shops, but like Matt said, I don't think they'd buy it. You might want to check with garden centers, too, as a lot of people are building pond these days and they might know of someone who'd be interested. That'd be sweet to catch a fish and make some money off of it.

I'd love to see a 7 pound koi! Take me to your hot spot.

You might be able to get a specialty shop to carry one, but that large, I doubt it. You're better off keeping it in your bathtub or swimming pool (without chlorine in it) and advertising for collectors to make an offer.