• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slip bobber Q

Slyster

Those slip bobbers with the springs... the ones that don't come with any instructions... do you simply push down the spring a little bit and slide in the line? They keep falling off for me.. and if I do it tighter.. it won't "slip"...

And those little green slip ropes you buy to adjust the depth... you trash that little black tube? And what is that little green plastic ball for (sometimes glow in the dark)?

Seems most tackle/accessories assume you have a dad/grandpa/friend who fishes.

Um, as far as the "slip" bobber, I'm not sure from your post what you mean... the ones I use that have the spring on them are not for use as a slip bobber at all. You pull the spring down, put the line in the groove of the shaft, and let go of the spring. It's a fixed bobber setup with easy depth adjustment.

Yes, the tube that the "little green slip ropes" are on are to be discarded after you slide the "rope" onto your line. They are simply there to allow you to put the bobber stop "rope" onto your line and slide the rope off.

The plastic ball that comes with can be used below the bobber stop "rope" to keep the knot from sliding into the top hole of some slip bobbers. It can also be used below the bobber and above your hook, usually when you have no split shot on the line. My plastic ball is usually red, not green, so I hope we are talking about the same thing.

Geeze- Never knew that... unreal.. Tx freebledsoe.. learned a bit just now. (newbie)

Those things always come in bins without packaging and instructions.. see how one with no background could get confused with the shape and all? (see my 'learning to fish' post in outdoor discussion.. lol)

It's the order you use to rig a slip bobber.

1.Slide your line through the tube the slip knot is on. slide off the tube and tighten the knot (wetting the knot with your mouth helps keep it tight)

2.Thread the bead on your line.

3.Thread the line through your bobber .

4.Attach your weight/s.

5.Tie on your hook.

6.Slide your knot to the depth you want to fish.

Now you can reel up the line with the knot and cast. Slip bobber fishing allows you to fish deeper because the knot is reeled onto your spool with the line. This makes it possible to fish deeper and still cast.

Quote:

Those slip bobbers with the springs... the ones that don't come with any instructions... do you simply push down the spring a little bit and slide in the line? They keep falling off for me.. and if I do it tighter.. it won't "slip"...

And those little green slip ropes you buy to adjust the depth... you trash that little black tube? And what is that little green plastic ball for (sometimes glow in the dark)?

Seems most tackle/accessories assume you have a dad/grandpa/friend who fishes.

You are talking about 2 different types of bobbers here- let me help you out.

The spring loaded bobber (slip bobber), is not really a slip bobber and won't let you move the bait to the desired depth just on any cast. The spring is there to hold the line in the slot so that each time you cast you have the same depth. If you do not put the line in the slot, you will either lose your bobber on a cast or your bobber will go right down to your bait. The spring acts more of a stopper than anything.

The green ties w/the rubber inserts are for a another type of slip bobber. Take a look at this picture- print it off and take in the boat with you next time.

resizeofslipbobber3jw.jpg

Some of the wing-it bobbers are dual purpose slip bobbers and stationary bobbers. They're hollow and come with a bead and knot. They also have a spring on the bottom of them with no groove to put the line in. Kind of odd, IMO.

IMHO... The bead is for the birds. Skip it. Your line will have less obstruction and your bobber will set up quicker. However, this will only work if your knot doesn't fit through the hole. "Wing-It" brand bobbers have too big of a hole to go beadless.

Beads are meant to go on crawler harnesses.

My opinion of course.

later