• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New puppy need help

saddie

We have always had Golden retrievers and labs. We now have a little English Springer Spaniel we want to train for pheasent hunting. Wondering what we need to know or what books are the best to read. He seems very smart is already potty trained,kennel trained smile.gif and we have only had him a week,he is eight weeks. Thanks for any help.

Wolters also printed a book titled "Game Dog". A little harder to find, maybe try Barnes and Nobles. It is geared more towards upland hunting with Springers and if I remember versatile breeds. It's been a while since I read it and I couldn't even begin to remember who the last guy who borrowed it was.... crazy.gif I'm sure others with Springers will chime in with good reads....

Good Luck!

Ken

I think the best book for training spaniel is "Gun Dog Training: Spaniels and Retrievers." By Kenneth C. Roebuck. As noted above another great bood is Gun Dog by Wolters and also Game Dog by Wolters. Another good one is Hup! Training Flushing Spaniels the American Way by James Spencer.

All of these books will give you some direction. But the main thing is having a obiedient dog. The dogs natural instinct will take care of most of what needs to be done.

Thanks for your help we are new to a pheasant dog so your help was much appreciated. I cant take the credit for the potty training my 4 year old takes care of that she takes him out every 15 minutes and watches for the signs he needs to go out. We still have a couple of accidents a day.