• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dogs and Cats

Reefdawg75

My fiancé and I have two cats and want to get a dog. After studying some breeds we are looking at Golden Retrievers, Labs and Brittany's. I would like a good all around upland/water dog that is a good family dog too. We are concerned that if we get an older dog it may harm the cats. Would we be better off with a pup? An ideal dog for us would be 1-2 years old and have training for obedience and hunting. We have looked at several rescue shelters and there are very few with any decent training (From what I have heard this could be a crapshoot). Any suggestions at going the Breeder route? Thanks.

Lots of started dogs available... Breeders or especially trainers usually have a started dog or two around. One of our members (Duckbuster) has a beautiful started (a lot more training than your average hunting dog has) 2 year old male dog that he wants to find a home for. He does a lot of field trialing and is going to concentrate on another dog right now. Maybe you two can make contact.

It takes a little while for the dogs and cats to work things out. I have a couple cats in my detatched garage to keep mice out and over time they have lost all fear of my dogs. My Labs have never given them a second look, in fact the one fat old gray cat comes up and rubs on my female Lab purring and looking for attention. Just let them go at their own pace until they are comfortable and all will be fine. My vet says his cat sleeps on top of his lab all the time and the lab doesn't mind at all.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have had 2 Goldens and both absolutely loved cats. They were all buddies and they all groomed each other, slept together, played together and got along great. In fact when one or the other would die(1 dog and 2 cats at different times), they would get really depressed and sad.

I'm putting my dog down tonight and am not looking forward to it at all, especially having to deal with a depressed cat. The dog has been getting progressively fearful of storms to the point she destroys everything she can find in her attempts to get in the house and once in the house destroys everything inside. We've tried 2 different kinds of drugs and neither work at all. Not fair for her to have to go through this so she's going to the vet tonight.

Luckilly the cat is having kittens soon so that will take all our minds off loosing the dog.

I'll be getting a new puppy next spring and I'm sure they will all get along fine.

GullGuide,

I am so sorry to hear about your pup. I remember trying to make it through a day at work knowing that when I get home it will be time. My thoughts are with you, I wish you the best.

"hooks"