• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold Front Movements ?????

dwag70

With all of the experts on here I have to ask the question. When fishing spring crappies on the day a cold front moves in or the day after, I have moved deeper from the spots I was fishing when it was warm (and catching fish)but still cannot find the fish. What are some different Stratgeies to try? I have varing the baits using plastics and live bait and the presentations(free casting floats ect..) but do not graph the fish at all do they go deep or hug cover in the shallows ...... I am lost on this Any ideas on where to look on a lake when the cold rolls through ????

Not only deep, but you need to find something to offer them some safety....weeds, wood. Any they will be tight to it. Often times if the cold front is a dandy, the fish will simply go to the bottom and clam up. When they do this they can be tough to locate even with electronics.

I get rid of anything with a larger profiled tail. You may even want to downsize to the point that you are using the same ratsos and shrimpos that you were using for ice fishing and hold these within mere inches of bottom...maybe even tip them with a waxie or a power nibble.

Cold front crappies at this time of year can tax the best fisherman.

Thanks, for the info Crappie Tom, I will give that a try With this goofy weather this year(how warm it is) it has been a bit tough. I was finding all my fish in the shallows now with the return of the regular temps I have lost the the fish. What a year when a return to normal temps is a cold front

Until the rain drove me off the lake yesterday, I was getting fish off the first deep break. Today with the cold front approaching, or having passed by, the fish were dack in fairly deep water and tight to vertical wood. Go figure, eh.