• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is this ride any good? 2001 Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4

norm

Just wondering if any of you have any thoughts about this wheeler. I found one on an insurance salvage type HSOforum and being a poor college kid, I think it might be just what I've been looking for. It comes with the whole engine and transmission in pieces in a box which isn't a big deal. Mainly I am wondering how good an air cooled wheeler will be in the heat and dust and such. Also, how might it compare to say a Kawasaki Prarie 300? Thanks a ton for any input!

We had a Wolverine and beat the heck out of it and the only thing we ever had to do to it was tires and breaks the normal stuff, it was pretty much a bulletproof machine. As far as the air-cooled, don't worry about it, ours never over heated in any temprature. It was a faily fast machine and light and I am sure it would beat the prairie 300 in any race. Hope this helps.

I know the machine you are talking about. The price it is at right now + buyer fees and tax is about all the higher I think I would go. That engine looks like a real basket case......cases are split and who knows how long it has been exposed to the elements or why it even came apart in the first place. That project could get real expensive in a hurry. Minimum for just a top end rebuild and a complete gasket set + machine shop will easily top $200 and that is if you can do all of the labor yourself. With as far apart as that engine is I would bet on far more than just a top end. If it were me....i'd keep searching.

Well, it sounded like a much better deal when my buddy told me it had all the parts and just needed to be put back together. I checked out the site for myself today and apparently he forgot to mention that the cylinder has some chunks missing from it and the connecting rod is all bent to heck, and that's just a couple pics. Yeah, I think I'll be passing on this one also. Thanks for the input anyways.

I am behind schedule with this response, but I will reply anyway. I have a 2001 Wolverine, it is an excellent machine. IMO the only neccesary improvement is better tires and possibly a Warn 424 kit. With good tires, it goes through a ton of mud, its a good hill climber, and with a little experience it rides sweet wheelies. Top end is high 50's. Motor is bulletproof. Starts good, warm or cold. Actually it in not just air cooled. It has an air/oil cooler which works fantastic. You asked if it compared to a prarie 300, IMO it is a better all around machine. Maybe a touch less low end, just because how it is geared. Speedwise, I have raced and beat a 300ex. If you want to play with sport quads and utility quads, the only wheelers on the market are wolverines and scramblers. I have a personal overall preference to the wolverine.

In the case or putting one back together I would also be skeptical. If you find one as a whole for the right price, you would really enjoy it.

Ryan