• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bladder & Bowel control or just controlling me?

TMan

I have a 12 week old Yellow lab, she doesn't have accidents anymore when in the house socializing with the family or playing around inside with me as she lets us know when she has to go by going to the door and whining. However, when I leave her in her kennel (Wire one with adjustable sizing piece which is set to allow just enough room for her to turn around) for more than 3 hours or so she occasionally pees or sometimes [PoorWordUsage]s in it. Very frustrating since I get up with her whenever she yelps at night, which lately at night can be 2-3 times a night depending on what time I go to bed. So every 3-4 hours. When I take her out in the night like that, she does go pee and/or [PoorWordUsage], so I believe she is telling me she has to go when she yelps. Especially when the few times I didn't get up she [PoorWordUsage]ed in the kennel. So, needless to say "I believe her" when she yelps. But when will she begin better control? Getting up every 3 hours for the last 5 weeks has been just short of torture.

Also, I take away her water at about 7:00 pm and I feed her her evening meal at about 5:00 to 5:30 so I make sure she [PoorWordUsage]s before bed at night. I feel I'm doing everything right so maybe I'm just impatient....or is she controlling me?

Any thoughts/feedback?

TMan

It takes a good 16 weeks for dogs to have full control of their bladders and BM's. Sounds like she is making good headway in alerting you to the fact she has to go.... maybe move her evening feeding time back another hour, or increase her morning feeding and decrease her evening feeding.... At 12 weeks though some accidents can still be expected from dogs...

Good Luck!

Ken

I had the same trouble until i changed dog food. She would [PoorWordUsage] (lab) in the morning right away but wouldn't be able to make it through day when i got home. So i swithed dog food to Sensible choice and it is suppose to take longer to digest. Now she can go a whole 12-14 hours and not go. I don't know if that is good for a dog but it beats cleaning up when i get home.

I wondered if food was the culprit also. We're feeding her Diamond brand puppy formula becasue that's what the breeder was using. I was told a lamb and rice might help slow some of that down. She [PoorWordUsage]s about 5 times a day now on two feedings an AM & a PM.