• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mississippi carp

Best day I ever had we sat just downstream of a few barges that were moored. There were birds all over the barge they were eating soybeans off the barge. They are sloppy and were kicking a lot in the water. It was a feeding frenzy just downstream of the barge. We put on corn and couldn't even get the bait to the bottom. Carp hit hard no pecking at the bait this day. So I always look for birds on the barges.

My favorite spot on the Mississippi is any shallow bay with sand and logs or fallen trees. Just a few pieces of corn, a split shot and an ice cold pop grin.gif and your almost garunteed a good day of carp fishin'.

---Livin' large at 14---

I agree with the barge scenario. I live in Red Wing and we have a couple of grainery's and barge mooring areas on the river. The carp hold down stream from these areas year round and catching them is usually no problem.

I usually start out by throwing a can or two of corn in the river a ways up from where I'm fishing and let the current spread the corn around my target area. I then use slip rigs with large bread balls and just let them lay on the bottom and wait for the action. I usually don't catch a ton of fish but a half dozen carp in the 10-20 pound range in an afternoon will give even a young guy like me a good workout. Living on border waters we can use two rods, but make sure you have a rack or something to hold your rods, because I've almost lost a few rods by having another fish hit while I was fighting another one. So I built a 2 rod holder that I can lock my rods into and just free spool my second reel if I get a second fish on. Works great!

Actually they do have teeth in the back of their throats which they use to crush mollusks and hard corn (maze). I guess I have never really heard of them getting backed up. I think their digestive tracts are quite a bit simpler than humans so they don't need the variety to keep regular.

Thanks Zap. I figured I was being fed. Funny thing it was DNR that said it. We were ice fishing on a small lake that has trout. He saw some guys chumming by pouring corn down the hole. That's when he said it plugs them up.

I would thing if crawdads and minnows digest corn must too.

I've heard that trout can't digest corn. But other fish I've never heard of them having any problems with it.

In some places, it's illegal to use corn in trout waters.