• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mossberg Muzzleloader Barrel

Neiko

Has anyone used a muzzleloader barrel for a Mossberg 500? I wanted to get a Muzzleloader and this would be a cost effective way to try it out to see if I like it. I want to hunt bear with it and was thinking of trying it on Turkey also? I didn't know they made such a thing until I saw one on hsolist so i checked out Mossbergs site and sure enough they have them. Wondering if anyone tried these and what they think.

If you want to use a muzzleloader for turkey in Minnesota you will need a shotgun barrel, the .50cal rifled barrel available for your 500 Mossberg isn't suitable for shot. It is not legal in Minnesota to hunt Turkey with a single projectile weapon other than a bow.

My .02 cents on your barrel conversion, for $200 you can get a kit from Thompson Center or Knight Rifles that will give you all the accesories you need to start shooting. You will also get a stock designed for shooting a rifle , You get a better trigger(Usually half the pull of a shotgun.)Most of these kits also include some type of fiber optic sight. You also get a reciever drilled and tapped for a scope(legal during regular firearms deer season, or bear season) For maybe $100 more than the barrel you are looking at you would get a gun that could last you a lifetime instead of something you would want to upgrade in a year or two.

I am not a big fan of starter guns or bows, If you can afford it, a quality gun or bow makes more sense finacially than buying a cheap one that you will want to upgrade in a year or so.(to me quality does not mean expensive, a mossberg 500 pump will kill ducks just as well as a benelli SBE in the hands of a competent shooter.)

That being said I don't see why the barrel you are loking at wouldn't work as a good 75 yard deer gun, maybe 100 yards with a good practice regimen. Shooting bears over bait would be the perfect aplication for that barrel. If moneys tight go ahead and try the barrel. If you can afford another $100 get one of the kits. If you enjoy hunting you will like the extendeed seasons a muzzleloader offers.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I didn't really think about it being a rifled barrel and trying to shoot some shot throught it. As for spending more for a muzzleloader one reason I was thinking about it is because my 500 is over 20 years old and I have definately used it. It has been a good gun but I bought a Browning Gold 2 years ago that I use now so the 500 just sits around. The main reason I want to muzzleload is because I have taken bear with rifle,bow and a pistol already. The only thing left is Muzzleloader and a knife. tongue.gif I usually buy the All Season license and would like to try for deer also.

Another reason is if I do like muzzleloading I don't want to get a cheapy muzzleloader and have to upgrade in 2 years but rather have one of the nicer ones. Did that make sense?

As long as the knife is a K-BAR, Bowie or Buck you should be OK. Just Kidding.(everyone knows a spear works better.)

My opionon of buying a muzzleloader is buy one that suits what you want. The barrel you mentioned should work well out to 75 yards or a little further. A shotgun with a slug or muzzleloader barrel is limited in accuracy by the trigger and stock. Even low dollar muzzleloader rifles will extend your range by 50 yards or more.

My personel recomendation would be the T/C Omega. not too expensive ($350 on up.)

If you like deer hunting you will enjoy the extra season the muzzleloader season offers.