• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies

Iceman12

I wouldn't bet the farm on that notion. Each lake is different; water depths, bottom topography, access to sunlight, all make a difference.

If there isn't structure on that side of the lake, I would doubt many crappies will be spawning there.

Don't assume that the crappies will go to their spawning areas immediately after ice out. They won't spawn until at least a month after the lake opens up and their first movement isn't spawn related. Those two places may be one and the same, but if that happens, it's only coincidental. They're looking for warm water and food at ice out, not spawning grounds.

Excellent responses. I would have to agree, each lake is different and you won't always find an influx in crappie activity in the north shore areas at late ice. Some lakes you might, but other lakes will have the south shore areas producing at late ice. The reason for the north shore excitement is because the dark bottom north shore areas are usually the first to warm up during spring, and that's where you can find the crappies. But, like mentioned earlier, each body of water is different. I've seen lakes where you can't buy a fish near or in the north areas but you can have a field day on the east or west shorelines, south bays, etc. But, the north areas are a good bet to try during late ice and into early spring.

I personally like to look for runoff areas during late ice and early spring for crappies. Feeder streams and creeks are prime for bringing in nutrients and oxygen. It's also usually some of the warmest water in the system. Pay attention to where the ice opens up first during late ice and look at shoreline structure. More often then not the initial breakline to the open water will hold pannies during late ice. I've had late ice outings where I was only about 10 yards off open water and was hammering up on the pannies. But, be very careful if you choose to target areas next to open water, ice is never safe, especially during melt off.

The crappies are not usually on their spawning areas right now, they are just enjoying the shallow water flurry and organisms. The bigger crappies will spawn just off the shallow breakline in slightly deeper water. Your mainstay of crappies and pannies might spawn in somewhat shallow water, but I find the larger fish to sit just off the first breakline where there is a transition change.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I have to agree with Matts assumption that run-off entering a body of water will draw the fish. Along with oxygenated water and the potential for food, this water will be warmer than any water found under the ice on any northern exposure. Melt water will pick up heat very quickly and those degrees are what will really bring the fish on.

Until some open water is very visible along the shores, the fish will probably be roamers. But when they find some water coming into a system they will be drawn to it like a magnet. If it is cold enough at night to create a re-freeze at night these fish will back out into deeper, more temperature-stable water and roam until the next shot of melt-water starts flowing again.

A creek, a culvert, even a hillside, with water running thru or down it to a lake will be a draw for crappies. Just set up on the ice where you think the drain-way is located and fish. But stay quiet....these fish might be only two or three feet under the ice! Even during the daytime with bright sun.

I am going to hit this little lake tomorrow I think and CrappieTom you mentioned a hillside with runoff. There is a steep hill coming down to the lake with timber sticking out, would that be a good area to try? It drops off pretty quickly off of that hill into 25-30' of water. It seems like that would be some good structure for the crappies to be in. Thanks for the help guys.