• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Know a good trainer?

newtobirddogs

I inherited a Brittany from my Grandpa when he recently died. I'd like to take her hunting, but she was a family dog only, so I need to get her trained. Someone told me Bill Holtan is good, but I can't find him. Any other suggestions, or anyone know how I can get in touch with Holtan? I live near Wahpeton. Thanks!

I have heard great things about Bill Holtan. He is actually taking my red setter down to Texas next month. I can post his number after I get home later this evening. You could probably get it from Setterguy if he checks in today.

Thanks for the info. - I'll give him a call. What should I look for in a trainer? And what should I expect a trainer to do for my dog, and to my dog? I'm new to this and would appreciate any advice or insight you could offer. It sounds like you have some experience with dogs.

Bill Holtan is a first class man and a first class bird dog trainer..I would call him and explain the situation that you have and see what his opinions are. He isn't going to put your dog through a bunch of training if its not working, and he will tell you what you need to do before he takes the dog on also..Bill now lives in North Dakota so he is pretty close to you also. My wifes family is from the Whapeton area, do you go to Jack for your dentistry? That is my wifes uncle.