• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Clutch Engagement Problems???

IceBuzzard

I own a 2002 Polaris 500 HO that wants to take off while it is idling. I have the idle set to the lowest RPM's and it inches along. It is worse when I have it in reverse. Any idea what is causing this and what the solution is to fix it? Any help or thoughts would be great appreciated.

Howdy IceBuzzard...

I've run into this problem a number of times of various machines and it all seems to lead to one or more of three places. Primary and/or secondary clutch wear, worn or wrong belt and clutch alignment.

A bit more detail please. When you say "take off". Does this mean "quickly"? Or is it just "creeping"? Also, is this machine stock? If not, what's been added to the drive train? New belt? Oversized tires? Clutch components? Anything? Any major repairs lately? How long has your Polaris been doing this?

I have the exact same machine you have and had the exact same problem too. Brought it in to get fixed and they said it needed some new bushing or spacer or something. The part was only a few bucks but labor was about $80. They said it happened from driving slow or pulling something in high gear instead of low. I don't know if it was a problem in the drive clutch or the driven but I will try and find the receipt and give you the part number.

Sorry I couldn't help pinpoint the problem but this should get you started anyways.

Thanks guys, everything you said is what I am hearing from the service techs as well. It does creep along. I have scheduled to bring it in the shop so I will keep you posted. I have no problem doing the repairs on my machine, frankly I enjoy it, but when it comes to the clutch, I am not very well educated. When you say the clutch is out of alignment, will the shims they put in repair this or is it work above and beyond that?

The bushing/spacer in the clutch is worn out needs replacing. I'd put money on it. Replaced ton's of them. If it was killing the motor soon as it was but into gear the belt flipped over. Don't ask me why but they do sometimes. But you issue is the spacer bushing if all of a suddon it just creeps it was an update back in the day.