• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Forced retrieve training on setters

Birddog7mm

I need a little advise on how to best to work with a Gordon Setter who doesn't want to retrieve? This is my second setter and the first one took to retrieving with no problem. My second Gordon is her second full year of upland and she is spent. Awesome nose,heart,and desire to please. We hunted with afew labs over the season and I expected her to pick it up based on her competitive drive and watching the other dogs getting all of the attention but,it never seemed to phase her? Anyone have any suggestions?

Does she show any interest at all? There are plenty of good trainers out there that can force break to retrieve. It all depends on how aggresive you want to get with your training. Does she do any differently when she is hunting alone? My dog does retrieve, but will usually allow other dogs to do it if we are hunting with multiple dogs...Where did you get your Gordon from?

She does show some interest with sticks for two or three throws and thats it. I picked her up from a breeder down in Missouri coming up on three years. My first Gordon was from a breeder in SD who owned both dogs themselves out of Brookings. That first female at her heaviest was 40pds, the female we have now is 68pds in September and somewhere in the low 60's this time of year.