• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CRAPPIE SPINNING REEL

ksdog

Wanting to buy a nice little spinning reel to pitch small jigs. I'd like the reel to be smooth reeling and casts well with 4 lb. test line. Any suggestions for say, under 50.00 category ?

Pitching small jigs....first offI'd recommend something with a spool that is quite long from front to back so line doesn't cut into itself so easily. And then I'd look at retrieve ratio. I personally like something in the 6.0/1 range. Weight becomes a balance factor...too heavy a reel on even a 300 dolar rode will make it feel like you are fishing with a telephone pole.

My choice for years has been the Shimanos without the fast-cast feature. I prefer the front drag models, too. The Sahara, Sedona are both excellent mid-priced reels and you'll be wanting to look at the 1500 series. The 750 series may be more to your liking weight-wise, but you give up the retrieve ratio for the smaller size.

Jr's Tackle offers some dandy spinning reels in the small sizes with a bit slower retrieve rates, but are smooooooth with the higher count in bearings. The instant lock-up feature makes these another fine consideration for the jig angler and the front drags are very well put together. I am currently using two different models of these reels: a four bearing and an 8 bearing. The retail on the four bearing is $14.95 ad the 8 bearing is $21.95. JR's is a site sponsor and their products can be read about and ordered from their web site at www.jrstackle.com or thru FishingMinnesota by clicking on the " our sponsors" link.

When shopping for a small reel to handle very light lines, worry about the drag and not the cost. I have seen some products on the market that cost a c-note per reel and the drags are pure junk. At the same time I have seen a lot of reels in the so-so catagory that work like magic when you get to the drag.

List everything you want in the reel and then go find some place that retails a ton of reels that has sample reels out to play with....and start at the cheap end and work your way up. You may be surprised how soon your search ends.

ksdog, look at www.midwestrodandreel.com they have a 7bb reel with anti-reverse and a lifetime warrenty for 29.99 its called the M-7. They also have a Okuma TP15 that has 9bb that is very smooth for 49.99. I use the M-7 for ice fishing and I know the owner Bill at midwest uses it on a light weight rod.

This will be the first time in my life that I've recommended a Zebco, but here it goes . . . Zebco has a new spincast reel that runs $19.99. Perfect weight to balance out an ultralight for crappie. However, where it gets really cool is that this reel has a built in function for depth memory. In other words if your jigging or pitching into a place and you want to remember how deep your jib was when you got the nudge or hit, you can set the reel to release line to that same depth.