• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pesky perch!!!

bmc

I hit a new lake today up north of Deer River. I popped 3 holes and immediately caught 2 nice gills 8-9" out of the first hole. Then the pesky perch moved in. I honestly don't think the gills or crappies had a chance to hit my bait after that. One perch after another, those little wormy buggers, none bigger than 8". I moved around quite a bit and same thing everywhere I went. This is a dark water lake with a secchi disk reading of 3-4'. I was hoping I could get in on a good day bite. Any suggestions for tageting gills and crappies in this type of situation? Also what's your "go to" lure and bait for daytime, fincky crappies?

Brian

bmc,

Would you mind explaining what a secchi disk is and how it works?

I would assume it is something to measure water clarity but I don't know. Also, how is secchi pronounced? Sorry for the stupid questions. But I would hate to mention it in conversation and then mispronounce it.

Thanks!

A secchi disk is a disk with white and black on it and it is connected to a rope that tells the depth of the disk, the disk is lowered into the water until the white is not visable, then the depth is recorded and the depth is the water clatiry. I am no expert but this is how I have always understood it to be. Secchi is pronnounced many different ways but I usually say it like (seky). bmc I would say for daytime crappies I have had my best luck downsizing, and I am sure you have heard this berofre. look over the deep water 30+ feet, for me this is where the most aggressive crappies have been during the day instead of trying a tear drop with a waxie try a genz bug, shrimpos, or tiny ants (think tiny) with 1/2 a waxie when they get finicky. Hope this helps!! GOOD FISHIN!!!!!!!

What time of day did you start to fish. Big gills are notorius for being early morning biters and then shutting off. You may have hit the tail end of the bite.

I like a Genz pounder or fatboy with 2 or 3 colored maggies on it or a 1/16th oz. glow red jigging spoon for hunting down crappies during theday.