• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heat/Sparking problem

walksonwater

I have a 96 Ski-Doo Touring SLE Rotax 500. I really don't use it other than ice fishing, so I haven't been trail riding or riding long distances. Last year while up at LOW after driving about 5 miles it would die and I would have no spark. So I replaced the CDI box here just a few weeks ago. Today I finally had a chance to take it out and put a few miles on it, yep! after about 5 miles she died! No Spark again. If I let it set for about 15 or 20 minutes it'll start back up again and go for a while and die again.

It seems like it's heating something up and killing my spark. Just before it dies you can start to hear the muffler making a pinging sound and than dies.

Last year I had to replace the Voltage Regulator because I was blowing headlights. No more problems with head lights since than.

The other thing this year is I'm having a difficult time getting it to idle; I did the Stabil last year with a half a tank left over the summer. This year I filled the rest of the tank with fresh gas before even trying to start it. I just put a can of carb cleaner mixture into the fuel to see if that'll help but so far it hasn't. Maybe I just need to run it more to get that cleaner flowing thru the carbs.

Anyway the big burning question right now really is the problem with it dieing and no spark until it appears to cool down some.

Appreciate any helpful information...I know the next stop may have to be taking it to the shop.

Thanks,

Call your Ski-Doo dealer and ask for service and run it by them via phone. They have helped me alot over the phone and may also know of something like this happening on those type of sleds alot. So just explain it to them as you did here on this forum and I would bet they can give you a few ideas to check out and perhaps have you up and running in a short amount of time..Good Luck

After a bit of work and learning how the sled's electronics work I've been able to figure out what the problem was....The Pickup Coil along the flywheel.

What a difference it made...she's like new now.

The dealer was able to help me with the carb settings.