• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

putting on tire chains

Gadgetman

I have been using chains on my wheeler for several years but am still wondering how people get them on tight. I get them as tight as possible and then take a bungee and attach it in a triangle fashion to the chains to take up the extra slack, but they still seem too "slap" a little at higher speed. Also do you guys use some wire or zip ties to hold the little locking lever in place and to keep it from opening at an inopportune time. Just trying to avoid damage to my fenders frown.gif

I let the tire pressure out, got the chains tight, then reinflated. There will be a little slap due to the tread pattern. The chains run straight and the tread usually doesn't. I took mine off and didn't have a problem pulling the house on glare ice with 4wd locked.

I went to gander to buy mine and they don't flap at all. You should make sure they are the right size. also inflate the tires to get the most out of your chains. When the tires are low, more of the tire is in contact with the ice. And your not getting all the use out of the chains.