• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remington 11-48 problem

Ruttin' Buck

Recently inherited an old Remington 11-48 semi-automatic shotgun from my father. I was there the day my dad bought it at an auction when I was just a wee lad probably 20 years ago.

I remember encountering problems with the gun early on. After firing a round the gun would jam badly. The two links from the bolt would pop out of the action spring follower (cup) and the gun would have to be dismantled to fix the problem. I think my dad just had become frustrated with it and so I've taken it upon myself to get it back in working order.

For this problem to happen the action would have to go back and begin coming forward without the action spring and action spring follower immediately following the two linkages that connect to the bolt. Without the trigger/hammer assembly in I can slam the bolt in and out manually and not experience this problem.

I remember my dad and I focusing on the action spring and plug back when we looked at it. However, when I stripped the gun down completely the other day and found out that the hammer has really done a number on the trigger plate. It has worn a noticeable gouge into the trigger plate since the hammer itself seems to have too much slop on the pin it pivots about. In addition, the spring action plug I've seen in different diagrams appears longer than the plug that was in the gun.

Here's a couple questions for anyone that might be familiar with the gun....

1. Since the linkages travel back on either side of the hammer, if the hammer was off center and created a 'drag' on the linkages would the action spring and follower have enough intertia to continue traveling back enough that the linkages pop out of the follower? Remember, there's likely less force on the follower since it appears my action plug is shorter than stock.

2. I will need some parts, particulary for the trigger/hammer assembly. I would actually prefer to purchase a new or rebuilt assembly and keep mine for spare parts. Does anyone know a good gunsmith near Buffalo/Annandale who could help?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Well I don't know a thing about the 11-48, but I did ask my Father In law about it. He was a gun smith for many years. He said that the 11-48 was made poor and that even if it was brand new you would still have the same problem.There is a great Gun Smith down in Spicer MN not sure how far that is from you but the guys name is Pat Labe.. not sure on the last name spelling but it is something like that. If he can't fix it, it can't be repaired. Hope this helps.