• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

500 SPORTMAN 04.5 (HOT)

HARDTIMES

Hey there Hardtimes...

Although not from plowing, mine (and a few others) did the same thing a while back. It should be an easy fix...

First off, check to see if your radiator is plugged with ice, slush, mud from last summer. Due to the location of the radiator, checking the top fins may be difficult. After removing the from rad. guard, try shining a light through it from the back. You'd be surprised how dirty a "clean" raditator can really be.

Next, check the coolant level. If it's low, refill as recommended in your maunal. If it's full, your 500 may have an air bubble trapped in the system somewhere. It may take a few heating/cooling cycles with the cap off, to "burp the baby", but it will go. Since I did that, no more light. I've had to do this to four other bikes. All 04.5's Polaris singles and twins. Dealer issue or factory issue?

Maybe Sledhead will jump in and check my work.....

Good luck..

If his problem is a very dirty rad. a problem I have had in the past. When I bought my atv new, I did not realize that just washing my atv at home with a typical garden hose and the best nozzel I could find. Was not getting my rad. clean enough. Thus, on a couple of riding trips. My overheat light came on to. As a result. I now take my atv to a car wash place that has a High pressure hose. I manover that hose as best I can. both from the front and back to get that rad washed out clean. Since I have done that. My red light has never come on again. A couple of people told me to be carefull that, that much pressure might bend some fins. That has never happened. My point is, is that, especially in the summer from the mud and dirt. Rads can get so dirty that you need very high pressure to get that rad. clean.

- northman

My 04 Sportsman overheated driving across a slushy lake in cold weather. I did not notice the hot light come on and kept going till I got coolant on my boots. The other guys went to town and got more coolant and we added to it and headed back. I had to stop a couple of times on the way back because the hot light came on. We put it in the garage and cranked the heat on it best we could to try and thaw it out. I think I may have burned the fan out cuz when it idles for a while the lights will suddenly dim but the fan does not come on.

I does this sound reasonable? Also is this something you would get into replacing yourself or would you take it in?

maybe unhook fan wires start atv up and put a voltmeter on the leads to the fan.when it get hot it should sent voltage to the fan?if it does i would say the fan is burned out.I would replace the fan self, put if it under warr. let them do it.

I bought my 05 about 5 months ago, just had it in the shop.

Within 2 months, the thing overheated twice. (flashing light, and the tank of coolant was empty.

Also, i lost accessory power at the same time. Winch don't work, 4x4 don't work, illumination on spedometer don't work, however, my headlight did work.

Shop had it for 2 days, replaced the voltage regulator, and everything is grand.

They said that the voltage regulator could have caused the coolant to fall out, and the engine to overheat...

Possibly you have the same issue?

I have the Green 05 Sportsman 500 HO