• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Problems

Garness

I have been getting more into ice fishing the last few years, but most of my experience is fishing in guided hardhouses. I am beginning to venture out by myself, but getting a little discouraged.

When we go out our plan is usually to go where there is the largest change in depth and set up towards the top thinking that the fish will come up in the evenings to feed in the weeds. Is this correct or are we (Contact US Regarding This Word).

If we are fishing for crappies and we catch a northern should we move or is it safe to stay where we are at? We were thinking that the crappies would be scared away by the northerns?

We mark most of the fish really close to the bottom? I thought they would be up higher this early in the year?

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

If the weeds are in 8 or more feet of water, you may want to search out a hole rightin the weeds during the daytime and then move to the edge of the weeds in the low-light period. When you move to the deeper water at the edge of the weeds try to fish the same depth in the water column as what the weeds were foud in....if the weeds were in 7 feet of water, back out over the deeper water and fish 7 feet deep.

The fish you are marking down deep may be nuetral or negative mooded fish. They may be able to be teased into hitting by downsizing to a very small jig and maybe a golden-rod grub hung smack in their face with no action.