• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FInding Gills

professor

Where should I start my search for mid-day bluegills? Deep or shallow? The 400 acre lake I'm on will has a max depth of about 15', mostly sand, clay, and gravel bottom, with minimal structure, and a water clarity of just over 3'.

I would check the shallow weeds right now, unless there is a decent sized minlake basin that runs at 15 feet. Sometimes those big gills will roam the deep basin if a lake only gets to about 12-17 feet deep...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt is right, if you can find holes in the standing weeds I would definitely try there. If you are unsucessful there, try the main lake basin, look for a transition in the bottom, look for an area where the bottom turns from hard to soft and they should be on the soft side suspended. Here's how you can tell the difference on your flasher!

tip01739sw.gif