• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mallards are here and the seasons over

I have been hunting late season geese locally the last few days and the number of mallards I have encountered has been tremendous. Over the course of the weekend our group has noticed flocks of 100 plus mallards loafing in the sauk river. It's to bad the season is closed because I think us diehard waterfowlers could of experianced some of the best shoots of the season if the season were to of only lasted a few more weeks. While goose hunting we had ducks flying around us throughout the day. The one positive side to the whole scenario is that as a dedicated waterfowler seeing these birds pitch in is a sight in it's-self. Hopefully mother nature cooperates next year and we can all experiance a late season hunt. As of for now all a person can do is grab the cam-corder and film what mother nature has to offer us.

yep same story here...late goose season comes around, and we have mallards dumping into our decoys, and not just in the morning...they fly out to us from below the dam in sartell all afternoon, evening....wish they would do that in october/november!

wdw/sartell angler

Quote:

How did we miss the best part of the flight last year? It was well below zero on the deer opener. Most of the lakes were tight that weekend.

well where I am, when they came they went straight past because everything was frozen. I suppose we didn't miss it in the sense that the season was closed, but we couldn't kill anything that was a mile high and flying straight through. If we don't start getting some early cold/nasty weather in Canada we'll never get more than about a one week shoot here... frown.gif

i was out west by ortonville and of course you cant shoot geese out there because they dont have a late season. geese up the wazooooo at big stone and LCP. duckers were out too. wish i could have been blasten geese because the pheasants sure weren't around and if they were, they were the most skiddish birds i think i have ever seen.