• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aqua Vu "Spectral Response" lighting

BradB

Question

Can anyone explain what Aqua Vu means by their "Spectral Response (SR"") lighting? Their HSOforum only says:

"Spectral Response (SR) lighting maximizes the light the camera can use, thus increasing viewing distance at night while minimizing particle reflection!"

They also say "Breakthroughs for ’05 include a new anti-spook camera design that actually looks like a fish; a crank-up cable spool for neat cable storage; Spectral Response (SR) lighting that maximizes low-light viewing distance; and the first full-color, daylight-viewable LCD display in an underwater viewing system." which indicates to me that this SR lighting is a new feature.

This lighting is on their higher end cameras, while the lower price models have IR. I pre-purchased a SV-100 and I'm wondering what this type of lighting might actually mean. Their description sounds good to me, but it doesn't explain it satisfactorily to my geeky self.

8 answers to this question

Hmmm...

I looked up the meaning of "spectral response" and it appears that it it is the way that a photosensor (camera) or eye repsonds to the different types of light radiation (UV, Visible, IR). I did find some description of the theory and it appears that there are some applications that try to maximize this by computer algorithms in the programing, or the mixing of lights. Perhaps this is what Aqua-Vu has tried to do, mix the appropriate wavelengths of red and blue to increase low light visibility.

Either that, or they just thought "spectral response" sounded cool and marketing ran with it.

Aqua Vu now has Kevlar reinforced cables, so I suppose if it's good enough for combat helmets it should prevent pike damage. Personally, I hope a pike hits my new camera as I think the tooth marks would give it character.

Yes the SR lights are the blue and red LED lights.. they are just little minni flashlights. And they just tagged it with the special name... They do work better than the IR lights..but as stated in another post. none of them work all that well. its all dependant on water clarity.

and yes they have 300 lb kevlar woven in with the optical cord, no worries of pike bite offs!

Deitz Dittrich

Fishing Minnesota.Com Prostaff

Aqua-Vu prostaff.

Exudedude,

Are you certain that the "...blue and red LED lights..." that you say are "...just mini flashlights...tagged with the special name"? You have to think that Aqua Vu did put some real thought and research into this, and have optimized the wavelengths of the red diodes and blue diodes to improve low light condition viewability. At least that's what I would have done if I was on their R&D staff. "Spectral Response" is a real scientific term, and the little research I did seemed to show that it could apply here.

BradB-

By no means do I want to dumb this down. I know they did a ton of research to come up with the red and blue lights. From thier research dept they say that the red/blue lights work 10% better than their red/green lights that have been on thier older models. However, it still doesnt mean that they arent just little flashlights. Thats what they are.