• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 grizzly 600 problems

bearriver

I have a problem with my griz. I think my stator is bad but here is what happens. My battery is not getting recharged and with constant use, with lights on, the battery runs down to the point that no electronics work. Light go out and eventually the engine starts to flood out. Now, I went to start it last weekend and it won't even start. I did get it running for about a minute and then it dies without any warning and then won't fire anymore. Can anyone help????

You very well could have a bad stator. And a voltage regulator. I have seen numorous times that if one goes so does the other. Sound more like the stator is shorting to ground. Unplug what should be a 3 prong connector for the stator. Usually is 3 yellow wires or white wires. get out your ohm meter and set it to 10k ohms scale. next put the positive probe on one of the connectors and put the neg on ground any good bolt on the frame or motor will due. if you get any resitance out of any of the wires it is shorted to ground and is definatly bad. Try taking a reading from the three phases of the stator. ussally it's around .1 to .5 k ohms. just put the probes on 1 contactor each go around all three phases. At least it should be a three phase stator i believe. Also if you can get it started check the peak voltage from the stator. same as testing the ohms but with the voltage setting. rev up engine this will give max voltage. helps to have a second person helping. should be set to 200 volt scale. it should put out atleast 90 volts on all three phases. If not possible to do these, pull the stator cover and phyically look at it. only takes a 8mm socket and a 14 or 17 mm socket to get the cover off.

I dont have a four wheeler but am pretty good with bikes,I would think there would be a rectifier bridge (a few diodes hooked together in a heat sink block) when you burn out a diode your charging voltage drops to about 9 volts, if you burn out 2 diodes it'll drop even further, this (rectum fryer bridge) is hooked between the stator and voltage regulator but can be a single unit with the regulator. hope this helps.

I gave up and I have a guy looking at it right know. He said that the griz has a rectifier/regulator that might be bad. He is going to do some diognostic tests on the charging system to pinpoint the problem. Cash I didn't want to spend but the snow is getting deep and the driveway needs a good plow!