• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I was thinking about those duck calls they have that make the whistling type noise. The only time I have heard ducks (woodies) doing this is when they are flying away after they see you. So, if it is some sort of warning call to other ducks, then why is there a call that makes the same sound?

Early in the year I have good success with a wood duck call, especially in the loww light conditions when they are up and about.

I believe they make a mallard whistle that sounds like a basketball refs whistle, I have heard mallards make this sound twice in fifteen years.

They also have pintail and widgeon whistles that sound a little different, but I don't use one, they typically react well enough to duck calls and sometimes a goose call.

Drake Mallards whistle. I work in Eden Prarie and the pond behind our building is aireated so the mallards sit in there all winter long. When I go puff one down I listen to the ducks and they do whistle quite often.

My friend Matt is a pro at calling wigeon and sprig with one of those calls. Saw him call in several flocks of wigeon, and mixed flocks of mallards and wigeon just last week with one of those. The baldpates were whistling right back to him while locking up and dropping in. This would be a good year to buy and use one of those calls, as wigeon have been plentiful!

Duck-o-holic

Iv heard mallerds whistle often, you just need to be in an area where there is a consentration of birds and you will hear it allot. I havent had any problems calling in widgoen this year with my mallerd call so i dont know if a widgoen whistle is neccesary.