• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Putting Neons in my Truck?

bassman186

Question

Just wondering if anyone out there knows the state law for a putting neon lights in a vehicle. I want to put two under my seats, and some in the extended cab. But I don't want to get a ticket at the same time? Any help would be great.

~Matt

9 answers to this question

If you want to put neons in your truck the first concern is, is it visible from the exterior of the truck if not. you have no problems to worry about go ahead and put them in.

If visible from the outside of the truck make sure it is not an emergency color, example red, blue amber or strobe.

if you have more questions on installation or anything on that matter email me at [email protected]

hope this helps. i will add the exact statute for you tommorow.

Here is the state statute that I believe Jiggin is refering to.

169.64 - Prohibited Lights; exemptions

Subd. 2. Colored light. Unless otherwise authorized by the commissioner of public safety, no vehicle shall be equipped, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device displaying a red light or any colored light other than those required or permited in this chapter.

www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/statutes.asp

You can go to the state legislature site and read about the other colored lights (blue, red, amber, strobe), that can only be displayed in certian cercumstances, if you want. Just go to the site above and type in 169.64 and hit the go button. The key words here like Jiggin said as long as they cannot be seen from the exterior of the truck "displayed" or are not a prohibited color you have no problem.

arbuck

NEON after market lighting is generally a "show" option.

Running the vehicle on State or City streets with the NEON is a problem from state to state and or city to city.

Floor illumination or under console is one thing, but once you get "visible" with them inside or out, you will have issues unless you are parked in which case flip every switch you have (lol)

Good rule of thumb is if your rolling, the lights are OFF smile.gif

Hey thanks guys;

What colors are allowed, I was thinking of putting two 16" neon purple lights under the drivers and passangers seats (one light per seat). So do you guys think that would be visible? I also heard that rule about if your rollin, lights off.

I want to get them but not get a ticket at the same time, My records clean so far, and I'd like to keep it that way for awhile!

~Matt

If you keep them "secluded" and use them as a illumination feature as oppossed to a light source you will be fine...

Experiment with the locations desired before mounting (if mounting) to see the light they put out!!

If you choose to operate them truck with them "on" you'll get looks (cops) I assure you that...Tinted windows help, but I heard they have decreased the tint percentage as well in the past year !!