• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

deer facts

I was in a discussion this morning and looking for few more opion's. One question, is there a distinct difference in tracks between a doe and a buck. And another is can a person tell the gender of a deer by it's dropings. Example: a doe's dropings are small pebbles and buck's are bigger clumps. Just wondering what everyone else has found in there experience's.

Only have a second to get back to you on this one.....Very interesting topic!!! We in our family of deer hunters have labeled a certain type of deer [PoorWordUsage] as Buck and doe. We have also labeled a certain track as a Buck track rather than a doe. I don't know for sure though. I've met people who agreed and disagreed. I myself have been on both sides of the fence. Back later. Tim

hey, I've heard if the tracks look like they are walking, and they are wide w/ the dew(?) claws showing its most likely a buck. Bigger piles of droppings indicate a buck, and clumped is most likely means that the deer just go off their bed.

-Good Luck!

I to have heard that clumping usually happens shortly after a deer gets up from its bed. As far as tracks the best way to determine sex is to be able to follow until they urinate. Bucks typically will have hind legs spread wider then does. The only way for 100% positive results is to see them standing in the tracks.