• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire size on retractable

waterwolff

Time to put new meats on the fishouse. Anyone run radials on there's. Do you think they would wear better than a standard bias ply. Right now I have ST175 80 13 If I have the room would I be better off with a larger tire. any thought's.

Thank's Mike

Pretty good subject yea bring up here...for one thing.the bigger the tire the more ground clearance going over landings and heaves..a radial will give you a smoother ride downd the highway but will sway more, a bias ply has a stiffer sidewall which will give you a straighter ride...kinda a catch 22 I'm going to switch to a bias ply rated tire...good luck

We also had 13" tires but last year we switched to 14" tires and rims. Everything seemed to work better with the larger tires (i.e. clearance, wear, etc.). We had to look around to find the right size 14" because our clearance is now reduced between the offset axle and the tire.

One more thing to consider in tire size is the larger the diamater, the larger the circumference which in turn means less revolutions per mile, which will equate to less heat in the tire and the bearings.