• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MWC, RCL Red Wing Tournaments

I said I would post my experiences when I returned from Red Wing. To sum it up, the bite was tough. When I got down to the River last Wednesday the River was in the high 60's, by the time I left last night it was in the low 50's. That had a lot to do with the fishing to say the least.

I did a lot of prefishing for both events and was lucky enough to get to spend a day on the River with James Holst. If you don't know James, he knows more about the river then I will ever know. However, with the changing conditions the fish were on the move and the bite was on and off. A lot of the spots I prefished simply would not produce. I did have a couple really good spots the key was being there at the right time. It was one of those times when you had to be in the right spot at the right time because the bite didn't last long.

For both tournaments my goal was to get a limit of legal fish. I knew that would be good enough. The big fish are on the shallow rocks, but casting for them is a hero or zero shot. I decided to stick with my limit spots. Some of these spots we would fish for 2 hours without getting a bite, then you would pull 3 nice fish in 10 minutes. If you missed that short bite you were done.

Last week dragging jigs and crawlers was working well, however, with the change in temps leeches are working well if you can find them. Otherwise, large redtail were producing some dandy sauger and small minnows on 3 ways were producing walleye. Again, the big fish came off the rip rap on the lake. It was amazing to see how the bite changed so much over the week with the falling temps.

I will be back again next year, however, I am not sure if the RCL Championship will be. I will be fishing the entire RCL Cirtuit next year and I want to thank everyone for their support, it was much appreciated! It was a great experience and I got to meet a lot of great people.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com