• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickerel Bay

A few of us here in Colorado are planning a trip to the La Ronge area, ( pickerel bay to be exact) and was looking for some input, since I have no clue about the area. 1st, should we go the week of may 31st or the week of June 13th, or will it really matter.We will primarily be focusing on walleyes, but hope to hit some pike,and lakers a couple of days. 2nd, What's the weather like this time of year? 3rd, any particular baits or techiques out fish the others? Any other helpful pointers or tips about the area or fishing here would be greatly appreciated. If you ever need any info about Colorado, let me know!
Thanks, John

Hey John

We've been going up to the NE corner of Alberta during the 3rd week of June and the fishing is awesome! In May the water is still fairly cold. The lake we fish has walleyes and pike, no lakers. For walleyes we use 1/8oz jigs with white twister tails, 2 to 3 inch. We tip them with crawlers until we run out and then just fish em plain with just as good of luck. The pike love a #13 Jointed Rapala Firetiger, with a Five of Diamonds as a good ol standby.

As for the weather we've had trips were we wore nothing but shorts and t-shirts and others were you put on everything you had under your rainsuit.

Best of luck!

Thanks Jim Bob, I can't wait to go. I've talked to several who say that 6lb walleyes are common, with many over 10lbs. We just don't get these here in Colorado! Are you planning on going up to Alberta this year? Once again thanks for the Info.