• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smelt, or lack thereof

Been to Montrose harbor on 4/16 and 4/17. Fished on the inside, north side. Caught 1 smelt on Friday and 2 smelt on Saturday. Weather was BEAUTIFUL and had a good time with our friends anyway.

Lots of families and groups of friends fishing. Very pleasant groups. Safe.

Give it a try.

Ken

------------------
Captain Ken Kessler
www.captainken.com
www.muskieschool.com
Guiding in Illinois and North East Minnesota
847-970-9108 Illinois
218-742-4680 Minnesota

Smelt are running hard up here in the northland. I guess the guys were out on the lake front of Duluth last night and got about 80 gals with about 7 gals per pull.
Capt Ken hows the fishing heating up on Michigan? I'm trying to get some guys together and make a weekend out of it down by Waukegan. I figured the cohos and browns should be pretty thick by now.

Jar Jar

[This message has been edited by JAR JAR (edited 04-20-2004).]

Jar jar

I am envious of the northland smelt. I know where I am going next season!

I talked to Chauncey, who has a show on ESPN radio on Sat am at 6 I think, on Sat. He has the pulse on all shore angling and he said the most smelt he heard caught were 45 in one night. Not gallons, fish. That was a fluke kind of thing.

The salmon are just beginning. It is blowing like he** the past few days. I was supposed to guide 2 guys on Lake Michigan yesterday but we scrubbed the trip on Saturday based on the bleak weather reports. The winds were really strong, 4-6 ft waves and small craft advisory. Too much for Capt Ken's boat. Plus, even if the big charters go out, almost everyone gets sea sick, so what fun is that? We will try again next weekend.

May/June is a great time for Lake Michigan.

Capt Ken

------------------
Captain Ken Kessler
www.captainken.com
www.muskieschool.com
Guiding in Illinois and North East Minnesota
847-970-9108 Illinois
218-742-4680 Minnesota