• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We are going to be @ sunset cove, village west over the labor day holidays. My husb. & I are primarily musky hunters, but if it has fins will go after it.
I have the tourist magazine which showed the Iowa lakes & gave info. on fishing in general.
How about some info. on what may be on the bite? Is it going to be horribly crowded with boat traffic.
It just slipped our minds about Labor day & famalies trying to enjoy last fun time until school starts.
Thanks Char

You can bet that if the weather is even remotely close to cooperative that weekend, Okoboji will be FULL of boats. Not fishing boats either. Bajas, jet skis, tubers, skiers, beer drinkers, swimmers, etc...

You ever been there for 4th of July? I think most years you could get from one side of the lake to the other by jumping from boat to boat and not get a bit wet!

If you wanna fish, I'd jump up and go to Spirit. It's usually less crowded with non-fishing traffic, though there's plenty enough of it there for us fishing folks.

------------------
Wade Huisman
[email protected]

I will 2nd what Wade said, East and West Okoboji are cramped on that weekend. Spirit will have boaters on it too but your morning and evening bites are going to be a little more quiet. Don't forget the Smallmouth gear, mostly live bait rigs and some jigs. For Bait shops Shuck's and Kabel's are good choices. My uncle usually starts hitting it hard for muskys around this time of year. Usually on the S.E. shoreline up to Rednose point and sometimes the shore around Cottonwood point. I don't Musky fish much myself but that's where you see the guys slinging the big plugs this time of year. Good luck
P.S. I'm not sure how much you already know about the area so I don't want to leave you a huge post. If you have more ?? keep posting and I will see what I can find out. Don't forget to visit the Berkley store, that weekend is awsome for good sales smile.gif

Ditto to the above. You may get a couple of early morning hours on East or West, but be ready to head for Spirit before long. Most years Labor Day would bring on a great perch bite on Spirit if you're into that sort of thing. Good Luck!

P.S. If you're looking for entertainment while here over Labor Day weekend, check out the Magnificent Board of Directors playing at the greenspace at Arnold's Park on Saturday night. If you like any of the old rock and roll from the 60's, 70's and 80's, you're in for a treat.

Thanks for the info. on spirit and okoboji. We arrive on 9-4 and leave 9-11 if all goes well. We had a young man rip around the curve by our house the other morning (3:30 am. Took out part of the sod, tore up the driveway, & took off a good part of the rear end of the jeep. Thank goodness, we didn't have the new garage up yet, because he would have gone right through it. Hopefully his insurance company will hurry up & fix the jeep. Boat is too big to haul with our car.
Took some more of your advice from the posts to the family coming from the cities too. We like smallies too.
Love the rock & roll music.
Well thanks for the info. Stan & Char