• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

is anyone fishing in Iowa?

oh yah we're fishing. in my area the water levels are high, so some times one has to adapt. there is some fishing in back waters. i mainly fish a little lake near me. the boat docks have 8 " of water over them, but the fishing has been good. the crappies are done with spawning. was out yesturday and we did real well on gils. most were males. we caught a few females that had eggs. so not shure if they are done too or still waiting. the lake turned muddy again yesturday. one side of the lake was like chocolate milk. we could see the mud line moving acrossed as we fished. so it will be a few days before it starts to clear agian. the bass have been doing well also. del

Fishing? What is that? smile.gif

Hit Big Creek friday after work...water levels had come down 5ft but were still a little high. Clarity had been 15ft+ before the rain, but was now at 6inch visibility at best. Found a couple of fish, but the bite and water conditions SUCKED!

Tried my luck on 12Mile Monday to avoid crowds and nasty water from the flooding in the central/north of the state. Between me and my dad we boated a dozen eyes, 50 yellow bass, some small crappie, some decent gills (full of eggs), and several decent cats. Had a great bite and fished from 8-2:30p, when the storms pushed us off the lake.

goody

I have been fishing the Iowa Great Lakes a lot and have been doing awesome on the crappies. The other day I caught a few more females than the other days. We had not caught a female in a week. What does this mean?? Are they gettin ready to spawn??

This is the time of year I start heading to S. Dakota on a regularly basis so haven't fished in Iowa for 3 weeks.

Fished 4 days in the waubay / webster area last week... walleyes & pike, pike and walleyes.. lots. more than lots, lol. hands are still sore. will be 10 days before heading back out but that will be a 9-10 day excursion. hope the anxiety attacks hold off.

Like here, the weekend weather has been crappy out there.... have cancealled a couple trips at the last minute.

Goody, any size to those 12 mile eyes? Was thinking of running down to 3 mile thur. & friday... may have to hit the old spots on 12 mile.

And you might check out saylorville in a week or two... my only really good fishing there over that past 25 years has been during high water, june & july... flooded brush and vegetation north of the mile long bridge.

doop. the crappies are done. not shure on the gils. as i said ; we only caught a couple that still had eggs. most didn't . water is to dirty to see if there are any beds. del

NO real size to the eyes we caught, but they were good little eaters and kept some for the table....actually cooked them up with some morels last night smile.gif mmmmm.... Still fun to catch, and like I said, it was good action. Was going to run over to 3 as those eyes are so much thicker, but didnt want to hastle with the skiers and such.

I have thought about the 'ville recently as the flooded brush and vegitation seems like it would be perfect for fishing....hate to ruin my prop though smile.gif

Glad to hear of your reports from the northwest....I really need to take my butt up that way one of these years.

goody

If you're referring to the floating debris on saylorville, I wouldn't worry about it. the warnings they put out I think is directed to the mindless power boaters who don't have a clue. moderate speed and watch ahead. if you can put in at the mile long bridge it isn't much of a run up to the flats and humps out from the big creek spillway,, that area and further north. a bare jig and half a crawler was always best. Conditions are right... should be through most of the summer, can't seeing them releasing that water very quickly. Only variable is how the population compares to those other years... I think the high water pushes lots of fish out of the upstream river and they seem to hang around until fall.

yes, you amd your dad need to get to SD. The 7 hrs for you makes 3 day weekend runs more difficult... lodging is cheap and if my brother's trailer on waubay isn't in use you can stay there. I just talked to my brother who is up there again... him and a local baitshop owner c&r around a 100 eyes in 3 hours last night. found a tree area that was producing 3 fish per 5 cast. most are 15-16" but 1:10 will be 18-22".

email your snail mail address to me at [email protected] and I'll send ya some info. - Jeff

Thanks Jeff....you will hear from me sometime....going to New Orleans this next week so I dunno when you will hear from me again smile.gif

HIt 12Mile again....it is official that they are killing it next year....the word is out in the baitshops down that way and amongst the fisherman. That means all edible fish go in the livewell...no sense in letting them die next year. What a waste. Managed a bunch of fish, about like last weekend....with nearly 80 yellow bass, half dozen eyes, some gills, some crappie, some bass, and a dink channel cat. Kept some eyes and gills to eat, but just a ton of fun catching fish that many in number that fast...even if you did have to fight through that many stupid yellow bass (which are still a blast to catch).

goody