• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

June 4th is deadline to apply for out of state deer hunting

I used to deer hunt in the great state of Iowa every year, but when they raised the liscense cost from 150-160 bucks to over 300, I decided enough was enough. The farmers I used to hunt with can't believe they jacked it up so high, especially since their crops are getting consumed by so many deer. I get Iowa tourism brochures in the mail every year now, begging for people to come to the state. Well, they had me and they lost me. Just my.02. CH

Crow Hunter,

I hear 'ya on the NR price increase, but I really don't think our DNR cares that they've run some people out. The fact is, nearly all of the best NR zones are still selling out and it typically takes 1 point or more to draw.

I here ya. Some time you have to pay if you want to play. I am lucky enought to have access to private land and a place to stay with relitives down there. I take that into account of the total price of the hunt.
Last year I saw over 100 deer in two day of hunting. Bagged my biggest whitetail in 20 years of hunting. Trophy to me 8 point with 17 inch inside spread and 10 inch G-2's. I'm hooked.

I was thinking about giving the old IA deer hunting a try. I lived in IA for 20 yrs growing up but since then I moved. I was looking at the area map and was wondering which area would be my best chance at taking nice buck. I was thinking about area 4 or 5? Any ideas?

Thanks

Zones 4 and 5 would both be great trophy potential...but also two of the more popular NR choices, along with 6. Truth is, if you're looking for a high quality bowhunt (gun season is very high pressure) and can hunt during weekdays, your chances of taking a good deer are pretty good anywhere in our great state. If you have to rely on public land, you'll probably want to stick with the southern tier of zones as there's simply more choices. Good luck!