• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Western Iowa (Sioux City Area)

I'm reading about all this fine fishing to the East of me. I know you all have friends over here on the Western side of the state. Forward this site to them so we can help each other.
Thanks

BB,

I go to school in Storm Lake and get out ice fishing whenever I have free time. I can help you out with a lot of information about ice fishing on the Western part of the state. If you are willing to travel I would also be willing to let you tag along some time if you want to. Any questions, ask away.

NEIAIceMan

NEIAIceMan, how's the ice fishing on Storm Lake been? How thick is the ice, where bouts on Storm do you fish and what do you catch?

Are there any other hot spots near you? My wife is from Galva, so I visit the area once in a while. I know that BB jinx is from the Souix City area. Do you know of any tight lines near there?

Thanks for the info(from anyone)

fishtale

IceMan, FishTail asked the questions about Storm. Might have to try and meet him there some day when the bite is on.
Do most of my fishing at Brown's lake, Snyders Bend, and a farm pond E. of Moville. All are about a 45min drive for me. All we get are Bluegills, Crappies and Bass around here. Would love to try for some EYE sometime. Thinking about going up to the Sioux Falls area one of these days. I'll also be going up to the Waubay area some weekend with my brother in law. Last week he took a 48" Northern thru the ice on a tip up.
Keep the replys coming, forward this site to others from my area.
Thanks

Hey Guys,

I hate to tell you this but Storm Lake looks a little sketchy this year. Than began to dredge it this past summer and when they do it the fish do wierd things. If you want to come over and try just let me know and I could take you out to the dredge(the deepest part of the lake). I think this is the best place to start. I also know some other places that may produce. Personally I don't spend much time fishing the lake because I am more into panfish and perch fishing.

IceMan

NEIAIceMan,
Our middle boy & his wife are living up in Storm lake now & we'll be up there for a weeknd sometime in the next month.
Like you i'm more interested in the panfish & perch.
Any tips for the area?
last year we fished a couple of the county ponds one day all I found was very small bluegills & a few good Crappie.
That afternoon we tried Crystal? my memory isn't very good most days.
That was an interesting afternoon got two jumbo's & a Nice slab crappie.
Spent 3 hours watching them try to get a truck back up through the ice while we were fishing.
they gave up about dark & so did we.
If ya want any info. on my area i'll tell you what I know.
Thanks CP

Not much happening on storm. walleyes have all the shad they can eat. there are shad frozen in ice and laying on bottom. but will not give up hope. most fishing take place on west side near frank starr park good luck all ps. might also find a crappie over there

CP,

Where are you from? I fish all over NW Iowa so I know a lot of good places for what you are looking for. Spirit and Okoboji can be real good if you are there at the right time it is kinda hit and miss these days though. Your best bet around this area is small farm ponds and quarries.

Iceman

Irish,

Are you from Storm Lake? If so maybe we could get out together and try to find those sneaky little guys. Do you fish any of the shallower lakes in the area. Such as Trumbull, Silver, Elk? These lakes are pretty good for perch and crappie and Silver has been known to have some monster walleyes.

IceMan

Irish,

Are you from Storm Lake? If so maybe we could get out together and try to find those sneaky little guys. Do you fish any of the shallower lakes in the area. Such as Trumbull, Silver, Elk? These lakes are pretty good for perch and crappie and Silver has been known to have some monster walleyes.

IceMan

Iceman yes i do live in storm lake. have fished silver several times this year,not much luck a few small perch only. heard threw grapevine that dog creek up by sutherland has been doing good. perch in afternoon and crappie in evening. i would be interested in a fishing outing, you must go to school at BV leave reply and i will get hold of you. sorry about delay in reply computer went on blink had to take uptown for repair.

Irish,

You can e-mail me at [email protected] I am always interested in finding new people to go out with. Have you been out on the lake yet? I haven't had the chance the other day I was going to go but then decided it was too windy so I went to a quarry over by Gilmore City. I will be waiting for an e-mail from you.

IceMan