• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spirit Lake area reports

Anyone been to the Great Lakes region in the last week. Planning on makeing the trip this weekend. Looking mainly for perch and gills.. Oh ya, anyone know the ice conditions on Brushy Creek. Any info will help. Thanks M-

The fishing at Spirit Lake has slowed a bit from what it was during first ice. If I was you I would target perch near Hales Slough, Templar Park, or the "Footbridge" during the day and during the evening I would move to Stony Point for walleyes. I haven't heard much about the bluegill fishing so I can't help you there. You're in luck too because I was just at Brushy Creek this weekend. The ice off the campground was about 8". The north end ranged from 1-4" so I did not fish there. If you need any more info let me know

NEIAIceMan

Mr. M-
I had great fishing over Xmas. I would stick with fishing Hales Slough, Templar, and Buffalo Run. Although I did hear of guys catching fish on the South end. We caught fish on both wax worms and minnows. The biggest perch usually came on the minnow. I would often jig with a buckshot in one hole, and have a swedish pimple tipped with a live minnow and bobber in the other hole. Seemed to work really well. It helps if you have a vexilar. The fish were really holding close to the bottom. You will probably have to try different depths we caught fish any where from 8-18'.

Good Luck
If you need any more info get back to me

keep the rods bending
Walleye #1

Marmooska,

I didn't get anything at Brushy mainly due to the fact that this was my first time there and the lake is very intimidating if you do not have a vex. I have heard they are catching quite a few bluegill out of there so I think it would be worth a try.

NEIAIceMan

Thanks for the info--but I think brushy creek is out. Talked to a guy the that was there yesterday. Said there was ice on the north end with a couple of guys on it. He saw them drill a hole and it only took two revolutions to get through. He watched for a couple of minutes then one of the guys went through, but got out right away. Think I will be heading north, thank god for the cold coming our way!
-M