• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sand pits and farm ponds in Mason City area.

I'm new to the Hampton/Mason City area and I'm wondering where there are some decent sandpits to fish in the area or small farm ponds. I love crappies, BG, and perch. I moved here from NE South Dakota, the capital of big perch fishing and I'd love to get on some panfish down here. Let me know and thanks in advance.
Selmer

Selmer

Near Hampton is Beads Lake and the Interstate pond. The Interstate pond is southwest of Interstate 35 and Hwy 3. A friend and I are going there this afternoon. He is from Chapin originally and knows where sand pits are around there too.

A few weeks ago we were on that pond and caught gills, perch and crappie. All were pretty small. A few were cleanable depending on how desperate you are for a meal. That day we left there and went to Lake Cornilia.

If you stop by today my partner will be glad to fill you in on everything in your area and more.

We will be fishing there in the afternoon until it is time to head up to Clear Lake for the evening eye run. We hope! We live in Marshalltown and won't be leaving until at least late morning.

Hope to see ya

Fishtale

I don't think the sandpits near Chapin (Pitzers) are open to the public any more. I know they closed down the campground and was told the owner doesn't allow anyone to fish there (something about liability concerns). Too bad, a couple of them have lots of gills and crappies but were starting to run small due to over population. Beeds Lake is probably the best bet in the area.

There are also a couple of small public pits in Sheffield near the baseball diamond that have crappies and gills. Didn't go there last year so I can't say as far as size. Be careful not to go to the bigger pit North of the football field, that one is private.

There are some public pits in Mason City (ask where Big Blue is) that are stocked with trout, but I've never fished them so can't say as far as panfish.

[This message has been edited by Smitty (edited 01-06-2003).]