• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane Tanks

I have a 11# cylinder with the old star type shut off valve. Where can I have it changed, how much should it cost? Can I do it myself? Where do I buy the valve? What do I need? Also, can I connect my old tank to another tank and fill it safely with a connecter? Just a few questions to save me some time. Thanks Solid Ice.

By the way, is anyone fishing in central Iowa?

Soiled, so many questions..so little ice. hehehe
I have a couple tanks I need to either re-fit or trade in myself.
I have been told that new OPV valves run about $25...that is just the valve. The install should be a simple screw out the old, screw in the new (makes sense to me). The cost of a new tank with the OPV isn't much more than this...I have seen them for <$35. The OPV restricts the flow into and out of the tank....gas will not flow out when you invert the tank....no more filling those 1# tanks for the heaters!!! Dang it! Our gov protecting us from ourselves once again!
dogonthinice

herb...that's what those receipts are for! Unless you can find another method (and believe me I am all ears), the tanks with the OPV's on them will not allow the LP to flow out of the tanks when they are inverted. I have refilled plenty of the 1 pounders over the past few years using the old tanks/valves and adaptors for this purpose sold in many stores. Never had a problem...though many would debate (and did!) how safe or "proper" this was to go against our governmental rules against re-using these 1# tanks. Guess they would rather see them in the land fill?! A friend suggested I buy a 100# tank and use it to refill my 1#'ers....seems a bit excessive to go that far...but maybe there are some other alternatives I haven't thought about.....anyone have a suggestion????
dogonice

I have no doubt the companies that make and sell the 1#r's lobbied to get the regulation passed "for our own good" and to keep down the lawsuits from the unfortunate who found how dangerous it might be. Reminds me of the company that made and supplied most of the old freon. When their patent rights were about to expire they came up with a new refrigerant that was more enviroment friendly and lobbied to have it forced upon us by way of gov. regulation. "for our own good"
Yep, we've got the best government Big Business can buy.

I have also found out through my reseach that you must have a new valve that is regulated to the pound tank you have. If it is a 11# CYCLINDER, you must get a 11# valve. This will only aloow 11#'s of propane into the tank. I do not know if you can change it yourself or not. The cost of this whole scheme is insane. And most of the tanks are being cut in half and thrown into the landfill. What a great country we live in.
Solid

Got an idea! They ought to pass another law requiring any business that sells portable heaters or sells the bottled gas for them to to take back the empties after we use them.
And they must be recycled.

Not from Iowa, just looking at some of your posts. In the regular Equipment Forum there's guys refilling the one-pound disposable tanks from the new valved 20-pound tanks without any trouble. Haven't tried it myself but from what I heard you can refill the one-pounders from the old or new styled valved tanks.

Now you got me wondering. Have not tried to do it, as I was told that in no uncertain terms the float inside the OPV would not allow any LP to discharge from the tank when inverted(filling other tanks). Now I am gonna have to check this out myself and see if it will work or not...
dogmayhavesomeyolkonface